Fun

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That was great Cecil. Tell me if this rings the bell. When I was in Nam, Chu lai air base to be sure. There was a road that passed right at the end of the air strip. I had to pick up the Vietnamese house maids, and kitchen help every morning at the gate. At least three days a week an F4 Phantom would be taking off and would pass very close overhead to the "deuce and a half" that I was driving. I don't know if they were using the after burners to take off or what, but the report from those jet engines would make me sick to my stomach. Have you ever heard of that effect on anyone?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Never heard of that problem Ray, but I would imagine it's a reaction to frequency harmonics or just high decibels.:dunno

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Very cool videos. I'm thinking some of those pilots could get in some pretty serious trouble for flying that low !!

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maverick 104 Hoolywoods F14

:eek: I was Stantioed in Norfolk when they were filming Top Gun. All the Carrier and at sea suff was done with the squadron out of Dam Neck. The Naval liason later got canned for allowing too many liberties with Naval materials. If you see a F 14 on TV or the movies #104 is always in the scene.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That was great Cecil. Tell me if this rings the bell. When I was in Nam, Chu lai air base to be sure. There was a road that passed right at the end of the air strip. I had to pick up the Vietnamese house maids, and kitchen help every morning at the gate. At least three days a week an F4 Phantom would be taking off and would pass very close overhead to the "deuce and a half" that I was driving. I don't know if they were using the after burners to take off or what, but the report from those jet engines would make me sick to my stomach. Have you ever heard of that effect on anyone?

Ray,
What unit and year were in Chu Lai?

I was a ground pounder for the Army in 1968, with the 4th /3rd 11th LIB, Americal. The Americal's home base was at Chu Lai. Was only was at Chu Lai for about a week before they assigned me to my unit some 60 miles south. Never got to go back to Chu Lai before I was homeward bound.

Dave

Bob Core

Well Known Member
"Dreadnought", a Hawker Sea Fury with an R-4360-63, making a little more than the stock 3,800 HP:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Dave, sorry for the late response! I was in Chu lai March of 1970 until Feb of 71 after coming in from hill 29 "Hawk Hill". I was in the 62 signal Battalion 37th signal co.