Garage floor, alternative to poured concrete

bobs409

Administrator
I want to see what you guys think about this, you know me, the wheels are always turning... :think First off, let me be clear as to why I'm posting this, I HATE DOING CONCRETE WORK! The thoughts of doing it are why 2 of my garages still have dirt floors!

I am considering going with concrete blocks (solid) shown here instead:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-x-16-in-x-4-in-31-5-lbs-Concrete-Block-3306640300/202535931

A quick check with the calculator shows it to be cheaper than pouring concrete. (I think) My rear garage has concrete going all around it's perimeter and I have 2B stone down. I also have a vapor barrier I put under the vehicles. I would use the vapor barrier under the blocks or course.

If I don't get talked out of this idea, can I get away with running a compactor over the existing stone or should these blocks be placed on sand or finer stone?

Ok, you may talk now. :D

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You asked, wanted to know what we think. I cannot tell a lie. Those blocks are a half ass way of doing things. Not trying to offend anyone. Those blocks aren't the way to go. I bet they'll start to sink where you ride on them alot and park your car. No thanks. Do it once. Do it right. I don't like concrete work either. Got two estimates on my 24x32 floor and went with one of them. They did all the prep work, compacting, rebar, pouring and finish work and warranty. All I did was admire their work and pay them. If ur still using a creeper or any type of caster, you won't b sorry with the concrete. That was 19 years ago. Concrete is still in excellent shape. No cracks. A few fine fractures and that's it. Break out some bucks and get it done, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Forgot to mention, this garage is only for 2 cars storage. Won't be rolling anything around back there. To me, it's basically the same thing if doing pavers for a driveway. A lot of people do that.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Always remember that someone someday will look at buying that place. When they do, do you want them to look at a bunch of sunk concrete bricks or a basic solid slab? Never think about cheap and easy if what you already have is good enough. An actual concrete floor is not just more money, its more of an investment. I'll side with why change it if its already working as storage? That then makes me wonder why you are even thinking of putting down bricks unless you want it to be more than what it is now. So just hire someone to do it right in this case. :good

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Bob, a prick relation of mine who did everything the best he could afford paved his garage floor with second hand bricks, ( got them for free over a period of time) none matched, he spaced them approx 3/8th to 1/2" apart then poured a weak slurry of sand and cement to fill the void, this was like this for over 50 years. Definitely not as good as a concrete floor but still workable.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
My neighbor paved his driveway and the area where his garage was going to be with asphalt then built a metal shed type building over it. I can imagine what will happen everytime he jacks his car up.