Garage Project - rollable parts rack

bobs409

Administrator
Let me show you my rack. (get your minds out of the gutter!) :D

A few years back while dumpster diving for cardboard boxes (I sell on ebay), I found a CVS was throwing out 8 of these wire shelf racks so I snagged them. Brand new, never used!

After staring at them and tripping over them for a few years, I finally decided what I wanted to do with them. I got some angle iron and made a roll-able parts rack. I chose to go with 10 inch spaces between the shelves so only used 7 of the racks. This stands about 6' tall and made to accommodate the size of the shelves in width & depth.

Once it was all welded up, I put on a set of 4 caster wheels I got for 4 bucks from Harbor freight and a few coats of gloss white to match the already powder coated white racks and wha-la, instant roll-able shop cart.

This will come in nicely when processing parts for my cars. Parts getting ready to be blasted, parts primed and parts finished and enough room for a few projects instead of my current method of having parts lying all over the place! :irk

DSCN3412.jpg DSCN3413.jpg DSCN3414.jpg

So, let's see your home made shop gizmo. :pop

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Awesome! Best part is those are commercial duty racks. MUCH nicer than anything you can buy at Home Depot. I have a couple HD shelving units I took out of the dumpster at my work. Can't believe the stuff places throw away. The ones I have are 5 feet long, have 4 shelves and hold engine blocks and transmissions easily. Try doing that with a store bought shelf. I rattled canned them black since they were a little scratched up but for the basement they work great!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Here is my roll about stand , not a good picture of it but you get the idea. It consist's of two angle iron frame's , which i got free also and put caster's on them. I got two metal fold saw horse's and they set in those bottom frame's . I have eight foot long 2x 12 lumber on saw horses bolted on each end. I used this set up to mount and paint my door's, trunk lid, and fender's and the hood as pictured. I can roll this where i want to paintphoto (13).JPG and i can store this when not needed behind my work bench .I know it's not much ,but very handy for other use also.

Last edited: