Gas gauge

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. For the first time ever in my life, I ran out of gas yesterday with my '62. The gauge said 1/4 tank but the tank was empty. Ran out by a cemetery no less. Hope that isn't an omen. When I first got this car, there was a brand new 3/8ths sending unit in the trunk, still in the box. Those few times that I had previously run the old motor, the gas gauge registered, whether accurate or not. As the winter wore on into spring, I ran out of things to do and decided to install the new sending unit. I thought the po must have bought it for a reason. The install went well with no leaks. I filled the tank once and had driven some decent distances and the needle never moved. It seemed to stay on full longer then it should have. Guess I was right. So, is there anyway to check for what the problem might be?? It seems that its either a sending unit that needs adjustment, if that is even possible, or maybe the dash gauge?? Thank you, Carmine.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Carmine,
Not sure if you have to bend the stick (wire that holds the float) on these or not a little when you install them
I usually have mine so they show empty when the float is about 2-3 inches from the bottom of the tank

Steve

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Steve. Unless I hear otherwise, I believe I will bend the stick. I think I want to make it longer so that it will register sooner??? Sound right??? I think the gas gauge is ok. Might be a way to check it with some type of ohm meter. The gas tank and straps appear to be in very good condition but they are 53 years old. Hard to tell what the inside looks like. I already priced a new tank and straps. Think I'll make the change over the summer. At that time, I will try and make some adjustment on the sending unit, Carmine.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have had a couple of the repo senders and they would stick on full then when the tank got to about 1/8 they would drop and register. I messed with them and they never would work right so I restored a original and it works perfect.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The repo senders are hit or miss as far as working or not. I had two different repo senders act up on me so I bought an original one with a 3/8 line and had it restored. Not much to it really, new float etc. Think they charged me $65 to restore it

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks Steve. Unless I hear otherwise, I believe I will bend the stick. I think I want to make it longer so that it will register sooner??? Sound right??? I think the gas gauge is ok. Might be a way to check it with some type of ohm meter. The gas tank and straps appear to be in very good condition but they are 53 years old. Hard to tell what the inside looks like. I already priced a new tank and straps. Think I'll make the change over the summer. At that time, I will try and make some adjustment on the sending unit, Carmine.

Some times bigger aint better,
If you have the rod too long then some times it can chatter on the top of the tank which you can chase for ages (ask me how i know)
If you shorten the float rod up it will stay on the full mark for longer and then go down till it hits the stop at the end of the travel on the resistor in the tank this could be a couple of inches off the bottom
I will try to draw a picture of what i mean and attach it here tonight

Steve

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm not sure where my new one came from vendor wise. I don't have the old one. Threw it away. It was for the smaller line, I think 5/16ths?? This one is 3/8ths. Guess its not a real bad thing if I can't get it to register accurately. At least I know as it approaches the 1/4 mark that its close to empty, Carmine.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
As you should be able to go 150 miles on a tank with your driver 409, just write down your mileage on fill-up and top it off before you get to that.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you remove your sender, you can move the float up and down to see where it is on the gauge, then bend it to suit. You will need to run a wire to ground it off the car I think.

Don

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I feel your pain. I just installed a new sender, worked good at first but now it does not even register. Chinese junk!
Does it show empty???Supposedly they do not have a good solder joint on float and fill with gas and won"t even quiver like most older car"s did as you drove them.(newer car"s have slosh module to prevent needle quiver).

Last edited:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I bought a sending unit, from (forgive me, Bob) Rock Auto.:doh Made in Mexico. ( Spectre) It has a plastic float.:rolleyes Don't know if that's good or bad. Haven't installed it yet, so I can't comment on it's usability.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Spectra is usually good stuff and the good Ford float that gits a Chevy was plastic.

Don

Shesrealfine

Supporting Member 1
I would recommend the spectra unit
it's the only one that I could find with a plastic float. Here's what the brass float on my "new" Restoration world unit looked like after 4 years of ethanol infused gas.

Attachments

• 20150505_083531.jpg
    20150505_083531.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 32

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm going to put a new tank in it next month. When I remove the new sending unit presently in the old tank, I will check the float. Not sure of the brand of the new unit. My gauge never shows empty. It seems to stay on full for a very long time. When it does move and eventually goes to 1/4 tank mark, you are empty, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I would recommend the spectra unit
it's the only one that I could find with a plastic float. Here's what the brass float on my "new" Restoration world unit looked like after 4 years of ethanol infused gas.
WOW. That's remarkable. Only after 4 years. That's something we have to look forward to I guess, Carmine.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm going to put a new tank in it next month. When I remove the new sending unit presently in the old tank, I will check the float. Not sure of the brand of the new unit. My gauge never shows empty. It seems to stay on full for a very long time. When it does move and eventually goes to 1/4 tank mark, you are empty, Carmine.

I think you have to bend the arm in the tank down a bit Carmine, hook the gauge wires up while the sending unit is out and when you move the arm, you can see what the gauge is showing. Maybe run some long wires from the back to where you can see the gauge, or get a helper.

Don