Gas gauge

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The gas gauge in my '62 stopped working. Of course I filled it up just before it stopped working. The gauge moves from barely above empty to below empty when the key is turned on. Sending unit and tank were replaced some years ago years ago. Connection on sending unit and ground are good. Float filled up? Anyone know how much gas will I have to drain in order to remove the sending unit without spilling gas? Thanks, Rick

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Turn the ign.on,remove the wire to the sender and ground it.The gauge should go past full.If so the wiring circuit are good,it's either the float or sender.You'll likely want to remove 10 gallons from the tank to avoid a mess.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I might be able to run it some tomorrow. I do have a hand kerosene pump that I have used in the past to transfer some gas when I needed to drop a tank.

bobs409

Administrator
I think if you ground the wire at the tank it would make the needle go to empty wouldn't it? My 63 has the wire unhooked since there is no tank in it yet (not grounded) and it's pegged full.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You may be right Bob.:booboo:Chevrolet and Ford do the opposite of each other n that respect but the test for checking the gauge is still the same idea.The test that I suggested will allow one to tell where the problem is.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Received my new sending unit from Show Cars this morning. Shipped it USPS ground and it took a week and cost $18 shipping. Could have sent it priority for that amount. In any event, installed it this afternoon and once again have a working gas gauge. Brass float was full of gas.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I’m approaching ‘70. I have a lift. I still had to be a contortionist to change out the sending unit working around and in between differential, trailing arms etc. Couple hours of work and I’m spent. A few years ago, I could spend 10 hours out in the garage. Oh well, I’m still on the right side of the sod which is unbelievable since I’ve survived lung cancer with one lung since 2004. The big Guy has certainly looked out for me, and I am grateful that I can still play with cars.

Junky

Well Known Member
Received my new sending unit from Show Cars this morning. Shipped it USPS ground and it took a week and cost $18 shipping. Could have sent it priority for that amount. In any event, installed it this afternoon and once again have a working gas gauge. Brass float was full of gas.

This seems to have become the norm with a lot of mail order companies. Not only do they want to make a large profit on the parts, but they also want to make a profit on the shipping. Most likely, the difference in cost of USPS ground and Priority is almost always less than a dollar difference. I have seen lots of items that I would have purchased from Show Cars, except for the shipping costs are sky high!