Gas pedal stop for too large of a carb?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Forgot to mention I did use my flow gauge and the front carb was doing all of the work. Balanced those out and checked my vacuum while I was at it and found I'm at 18 currently but still making adjustments. Probably going to mess with timing a little next.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Most carb issues are actually timing issues. Timing curve is very important, and usually overlooked. Vacuum advance seems to be misunderstood even more.
After watching the dyno tune at my engine builder make magic, I'll mess with timing a little. That dyno showed the engine was running rich but the timing and change in air cleaner worked perfectly with no further carb adjustment.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Maybe rig up a way to limit the secondary air valves and leave the throttle blades alone.
Add some weight to the secondary air valves in the carbs to slow the opening rate , should help your E.T.
Years ago Grumpy Bill Jenkins slowed the secondary opening rate of his Holley carb on his super/stock Camaro to lower his ET.
This also worked on my AFBs when I was racing my 62 Belair. ( this was before the use of stutter boxes) when drivers accually used their right foot to control starting line RPM. :poke

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Add some weight to the secondary air valves in the carbs to slow the opening rate , should help your E.T.
Years ago Grumpy Bill Jenkins slowed the secondary opening rate of his Holley carb on his super/stock Camaro to lower his ET.
This also worked on my AFBs when I was racing my 62 Belair. ( this was before the use of stutter boxes) when drivers accually used their right foot to control starting line RPM. :poke
So while working on the carbs I seen that only the front secondary air valves are flipping open freely when I stab it. I've only seen the rear ones flip just a little once. They seem to move freely but I don't know if my engine has enough poop to pull them open where all 8 barrels are running. That could be for a number of reasons but when I go make some runs with it I will mount my go pro above the engine and see what I get from it.