Gas Tank, Sending Unit.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I put my gas tank, back in my car, last weekend.:clap It has the Spectre, Sending Unit, I bought from Rock Auto, three years ago.:rolleyes I put 10 gallons of Gas in the tank. Instead of reading 1/2 it reads 3/4.:doh I'm assuming, if I bend the arm UP, I may be able to correct this.:dunno Does anyone know, How Much, I need to bend the arm? I seem to remember, Carmine had the same problem, with his sending unit also, a while ago.:doh Kind of Frustrating, they are All assembled, incorrectly.:bang

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I would be more concerned about it reading empty correctly than any other reading.
But you need to test it though the whole range.
What is the capacity?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I put my gas tank, back in my car, last weekend.:clap I has the Spectre, Sending Unit, I bought from Rock Auto, three years ago.:rolleyes I put 10 gallons of Gas in the tank. Instead of reading 1/2 it reads 3/4.:doh I'm assuming, if I bend the arm UP, I may be able to correct this.:dunno Does anyone know, How Much, I need to bend the arm? I seem to remember, Carmine had the same problem, with his sending unit also, a while ago.:doh Kind of Frustrating, they are All assembled, incorrectly.:bang

I feel your pain on that one. I installed a NOS gas gauge, sending unit and wiring. My 1/4 tank mark, is the new empty line. At least I know that, because I gave up on fixing it. I hoisted up the white flag. Too much grief and aggravation. I never tried bending the arm. I do agree with you. If I had to single out any one thing, it would be the sending unit; new or not. My gas gauge doesn't work, but the clock is accurate. Figure that one out, Carmine.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I feel your pain on that one. I installed a NOS gas gauge, sending unit and wiring. My 1/4 tank mark, is the new empty line. At least I know that, because I gave up on fixing it. I hoisted up the white flag. Too much grief and aggravation. I never tried bending the arm. I do agree with you. If I had to single out any one thing, it would be the sending unit; new or not. My gas gauge doesn't work, but the clock is accurate. Figure that one out, Carmine.
You can at least time the AAA response time. :good

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I guess I got lucky when I got my aftermarket sender I bench tested it first and it works great and accurate. Did have trouble with the float filling with gas ,but put a plastic one in no more problem at all. As much trouble as you guy's are having with these senders , i am almost tempted to order another one and bench test it just to see if they are indeed defective.

bobs409

Administrator
Just do what I did with my 68 Impala with faulty gas gauge as a teen. Take cap off and shake car side to side and listen at the filler. You'll soon become an expert at knowing how much gas is in there by the sound! :D Gas in your ear means it's full, SLOSH, SLOSH was 1/2 to 3/4 and Trickle, Trickle mean't it was time to refill.

Only ran out of gas once and it was going up a steep hill. :p

bobs409

Administrator
I still have to install the new tank and sender in my 63 so will be watching with great interest... :pop

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I guess I got lucky when I got my aftermarket sender I bench tested it first and it works great and accurate. Did have trouble with the float filling with gas ,but put a plastic one in no more problem at all. As much trouble as you guy's are having with these senders , i am almost tempted to order another one and bench test it just to see if they are indeed defective.

It's been a little while since I fooled with this, but if I remember correctly, I did bench test the new sender using an ohm ?? meter. Got the instructions at this site. It must have tested well or I wouldn't have installed it. Doesn't seem to want to work in the tank. So, I quit. Maybe some other time when I'm bored to death, I'll give it another try, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Gotta remember that one! I am thinking of mocking mine up with the sender wired up and sitting outside next to the tank and raise/lower the float and compare to gauge readings. When it looks good that way, it should be ok. Right?? Not sure what the ohms readings should be to go with that approach.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That might be hitting the float to be able to completely drop to empty position
That was brought up before and certainly is something I should look into. Thanks Don.

Bob, I did something similar to what you're going to experiment with. Had the dash apart and installed a NOS gauge. Pulled the sending unit from the tank and ran a brand new wire from it to the gauge, along with a new ground. I moved the arm and the gauge responded accordingly. I thought the gauge was registering properly and I had previously checked the sending unit with an ohm meter and I thought it was fine also. The numbers you want for the ohm reading are in that old thread. I don't recall what they were. I put the sending unit back into the tank and filled the dry tank with exactly half the capacity of the tank. Maybe 10 gals which should have given me a half tank reading. Nope. No way. It was a quarter tank off. That's when I surrendered. For some reason, it doesn't work properly in the tank. Maybe Don is correct about the float not dropping all the way. I know there was also mention made of bending the float arm. That sounded good but then there was some mention made to the contrary and I never did that. I don't recall what it was. Tough getting old, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I would not worry how accurate it is between empty and full .If it registers empty with no fuel in tank and full when full of gas and it is not erratic in between those that is all you need.Seems to me you folded the filter and tied it ,evidently you have too long of filter on it and could be interfering with the float dropping down properly at bottom of sender arm travel.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I would not worry how accurate it is , between empty and full .If it registers empty with no fuel in tank and full when full of gas and it is not erratic in between those that is all you need..seems to me you folded the filter and tied it ,evidently you have too long of filter on it and could be interferi g with the float droppi g down properly at bottkm.

Thank Don. I will take a look at that. The sending unit isn't really too difficult to remove, Carmine.

fsc66

Well Known Member
I was trying to diagnose a similar problem on my 66 Impala SS. After researching, I put these 2 videos together to help others with similar problems:

Gas gauge bench test:

Sending switch bench test:

Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I was trying to diagnose a similar problem on my 66 Impala SS. After researching, I put these 2 videos together to help others with similar problems:

Gas gauge bench test:

Sending switch bench test:

Paul
I don't see anything in your post to look at?? Is it just me?? Thanks, Carmine.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’ll be installing a new tank and sending unit in the next few days both are spectra in my 63 so I’ll gve a heads up on what happens with mine.