Gasket sealant

cuzineddy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Has any one used that sealant called -The Right Stuff? Can I use it on the China wall to seal the intake? Should I use it with the rubber gasket? Is the rubber gasket enough? The previous owner tried to seal the china wall gaskets with silicone sealer and they moved out! I'm going to dimple the surface with a center punch so that the gasket has something to bite.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
yes it is made by permatex i believe. they use it over at corvetteforum. jim

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:dunnoI use it on Race Engines because it sticks good and cleans easily for those tech night items. It is pricey and once opened use it or loss it, the directions say to leave a healthy drip to cure and keep the rest from curing but it seldom works that way. On the walls that you are talking about I always use ultra black without the gasket and the right stuff for the on the intake gaskets. I real like it for oil pan gaskets.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Check your gasket fit with just the port gaskets. If the fit front and back is too tight it will squeeze out the gasket no matter what you use. If this is the case, just use some Permatex Blue, no gasket.

larry t

Well Known Member
Nuther vote for Permatex Ultra Black. It's been a long time since I've used the end seals on any intake.

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I never use the seals ,i always use the permatex and never have problems!

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I bought Edelbrock intake gaskets and they do not come with the end rubber seals. I used RVT sealer with no problems. Pat:clap

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've been using some Valco products which really seem to work well. Some of the normal parts store RTV stuff, Permatex and Loctite, at least here in CA, seemed to not adhere to the block and/or manifold surfaces as well as it used to, even if everything was cleaned with acetone.

I suspect some of the good stuff has been taken out by our wonderful politicians and the CARB.

poison ivy

Well Known Member
ONE OF THE PLACES THAT HAVE LEAKS ARE AROUND THE WATER PORTS BECAUSE OF PITTING OF THE INTAKE, SPECIAL CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN TO SEAL AS A LEAK ALLOWS WATER IN THE VALLEY AREA.

larry t

Well Known Member
I've been using some Valco products which really seem to work well. Some of the normal parts store RTV stuff, Permatex and Loctite, at least here in CA, seemed to not adhere to the block and/or manifold surfaces as well as it used to, even if everything was cleaned with acetone.

I suspect some of the good stuff has been taken out by our wonderful politicians and the CARB.

Before you throw all the RTV stuff in the trash, try the Permatex Ultra. I use the black, but they make a couple of different types. It is the only RTV silicone I'll use in my shop-good stuff.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
To answer poison ivy's question--- the china walls everybody refers to are the end walls of the lifter/cam valley connecting the cylinder banks front and back. It is a nickname that is sometimes confusing to some.
Hope that helps!

Big Jim

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Be careful when eliminating the end seals and just using RTV that you don't use way too much, or the excess may find its way into your oil-pump pickup...