Gasoline?

El Rat

Well Known Member
Hi gents
First a disclaimer:
Please feel free to correct me ...it is my impression that many on this forum run regular gas in their 09s! Obviously most prefer ethanol free (again regular) gas.
My question is why? Back in the day I would never have run (1964) regular gasoline in my 09s. I had two a 380 hp in 64 and a 425 hp in 1966. Please comment. Note I’ve just recently switched from regular to premium containing ethanol ( closest ethanol free is 45 miles away) )

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Ask Jack Gibbs about running[or attempting to] 87 octane fuel in an '09.If the engine has a compression ratio of less than about 10-1 and is cruised around only[NO full throttle],I can see 89 octane as that's been proven by some members here.Non-ethanol is preferred for keeping rubber componants good and carb.corrosion down,but has no advantage as far as octane goes.If ethanol laced fuel is what's available in your area,either drive it often[year round] or use an additive such as Gibbs Defender in the tank at least while it's put away.Of course you could convert to EFI and forget about carb issues.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We have a new Bucky’s about 25 miles away that sells ethanol free 92 for 2.44 a gal. I have two plastic 55 gal drums from when I ran methanal. I put 5 gal of c12 in first and then go get 45gal of the 92. When I get home I pump this into the other drum that’s on wheels and then into the garage and into my corvette. 70 LT1 10.5 comp.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Back in the day I always told them to "Fill it with Ethyl, you don't have to check the oil". Today I use 91 octane non ethanol. That is the best that is offered around here.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Thanks all
I am going to run 92 octane from now on. I must have had a “flathead “ hangover. The flatties tend to run better on regular.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I use 93 octane and it has ethenol but not by choice!
Bob the refinery that supplies our non ethanol is actually a very small refinery in mid Pennsylvania! Have you looked down the road from you for it?
Robert

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I only run 90 and 91 octane non- ethanol in the 09 and all of my small engine ( generator, pressure washer, blower's and lawn equipment etc. )

87 ethanol in the Silverado and 300 ethanol suck's the petroleum out of any thing rubber made and turns into GLASS trouble/repairs.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Well,if the Corn Lobby get their way,it'll soon be E-15 :mad4.Just think about the fuel system issues we'll have then especially with carbs..:bang
It isnt the corn lobby pushing Ethanol producers..Corn producers arent getting an increase in prices commiserant with increase in corn demand. Boring i know.
I wont use E fuelin Anything

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm concerned that there may not be much of a choice in a few years. Old cars with carbs would be limited to race type fuels.This would damage or destroy the major part of the old car hobby/industry unless we change our thinking on fuel systems.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don, I have to agree with your thoughts on future fuels. And when that time comes, I will change to what I have to so I am able to enjoy the cars I like. That change is a part of life, as seen by people putting electric and diesel motors in vintage cars. Seriously though, I hope I am dead before that time comes.