Gear drive

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Alright, being serious this time. Who sells a gear drive for the W motor-OEM crank snout diameter, OEM center to center distance, needs to fit under an OEM timing chain cover.Reccomendations?

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I put a 348 together for someone about a year ago. He asked me today about me getting him one and putting it in for him. Do you have one?

heddrik

Well Known Member
There was a few articles in Super Chevy magazine back in the 80's, they had somebody that was making pieces to fit , the gears were custom but some shop was cutting them to fit some other drive and make it work. If you can t find a Jackson maybe you could look into that. Be cool to hear one .Good luck.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
There was a few articles in Super Chevy magazine back in the 80's, they had somebody that was making pieces to fit , the gears were custom but some shop was cutting them to fit some other drive and make it work. If you can t find a Jackson maybe you could look into that. Be cool to hear one .Good luck.

I remember reading an article in super Chevy where they were discussing Pete Jackson gear drive development for the 409 and I want to say the cam and crank gear were the same as the small block Chevy but the side gears were from like from the Cleveland 351 I believe......:dunno

heddrik

Well Known Member
Cool, I didn't know that. I bet an 09 sounds bad to the bone with one. I don't suppose you still own it? You are awesome sir , wish I could see what you have bought and sold through the years. I know the guys (me too) give you a hard time here but it's because they love and respect you for what you have done for this aspect of the hobby. Don, Pat, Russ etc. this site is incredible. Thank you for letting me join and drool.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Keith....the cam and crank gears were Chevrolet and the idler gears were Furd.

Heddrik....I bought the white 62 Super Chevy car from Doug.....long time ago!!!!! NOTHING like the sound of a gear drive!!!!!

That was the stuff that dreams are made of ......when I saw the picture of the 409 hanging from the engine stand With velocity stacks

427John

Well Known Member
I think they were developed back in the day to address the increasing number of accessories driven off the front of the cam on race cars,such as mechanical fuel injection pumps and single or dual magnetos.I don't think there was the confidence in morse type or double roller setups then.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I can’t possibly know for sure but I would think harmonics were hindsight when it was all said and done that’s what the clear vision brought I think that it was believed that you could achieve better timing through gears then you could gears and chain with the slack involved Just in theory seems like more of a precise way to go