Gear drive

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think some of you guys are missing the point a little. Not every build is a max-effort build, nor should it be. Sometimes period-correct with period or period-style parts is just as cool. After all, let's face it; if you want to build a max-effort Chevy, you most likely wouldn't start with a W motor anyway, when you have SBC, BBC and even (ugh) LS designs out there. Fact is, old stuff is great, regardless. Look at all the people doing flatheads and vintage '50s V-8s these days, resisting the urge to squeeze out every last HP.

(Now I'm ducking all the rocks being thrown my way)

The little 385 I built recently is an example. It was intended to use up parts I had. So the '58 block, Offy intake (predated the Edelbrock stuff), the 379 heads, point distributor, even the antique single-pattern Isky cam, it's almost all built up from old-school stuff where there are most likely later-design, "better" products out there. It runs like a watch. Starts better than anything I own. Doesn't leak a drop of anything or get hot. Go figure. Could it make more power? Sure, who cares.

Now I have a nailhead car, too. Must be a glutton for slow stuff.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I think some of you guys are missing the point a little. Not every build is a max-effort build, nor should it be. Sometimes period-correct with period or period-style parts is just as cool. After all, let's face it; if you want to build a max-effort Chevy, you most likely wouldn't start with a W motor anyway, when you have SBC, BBC and even (ugh) LS designs out there. Fact is, old stuff is great, regardless. Look at all the people doing flatheads and vintage '50s V-8s these days, resisting the urge to squeeze out every last HP.

(Now I'm ducking all the rocks being thrown my way)

The little 385 I built recently is an example. It was intended to use up parts I had. So the '58 block, Offy intake (predated the Edelbrock stuff), the 379 heads, point distributor, even the antique single-pattern Isky cam, it's almost all built up from old-school stuff where there are most likely later-design, "better" products out there. It runs like a watch. Starts better than anything I own. Doesn't leak a drop of anything or get hot. Go figure. Could it make more power? Sure, who cares.

Now I have a nailhead car, too. Must be a glutton for slow stuff.

I’m not throwing rocks........ I like it....!!!Can’t afford the cutting edge anyways

El Rat

Well Known Member
Back in the day they were considered bulletproof compared to the chains of the day. Pete made one for my blown ally digger. I had some space issues relative to fuel pump and mag drive.

El Rat

Well Known Member
I remember when external Jessel belt drives were all the rage...scared me to death, but I bought one just the same.

427John

Well Known Member
I personally believe that the top guys back in the day were aware of the issues with harmonics,it was just a matter of compromise choosing to be diligent with inspection to try to prevent chronic failures due to harmonics related issues than try to depend on a chain that could snap without warning (acute failure),the fact that research and development of alternative philosophy harmonic balancers,and controversial ideas like 1/4 speed camshafts I believe indicate an awareness of these issues and attempts to solve them.In the present with the development of stronger more reliable chain systems and belt drives builders are able to choose something other than gear drives to provide reliable cam timing and avoid the harmonics issues.But I also agree with you boxerdog there were plenty of times a gear drive was used when it wasn't needed,it was the age old philosophy of if the top racers are using it, it must be the shit,so thats what I'll use.A perfect example of that is braided hoses and AN fittings how many builds over the years actually were actually exposed to the conditions that would require them?