Gears ??????

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I didn't get my 09 in my 64 this year,:cry but its waiting patiently, even though I'm not. ( patient, that is ) Any way, in the mean time, I'm looking to change the rear gears, in a spare pumpkin, that I have. What I found out was, there's not a very big selection for us 55-64 guys. Summit now has a 3:73 instead of a 3:70 and a 4:11. By summer gas will be $4.00 a gal. So I guess a 4:11 is out. I seem to have read somewhere that the 3:70 R&P was junk. Is the Richmond 3:73 a better choice? I think I'd be happy with a 3:55, but can only get them with a 25 spline pinion. That doesn't help us 17 spline guys. Not only are we truck motor lovers, we're splineless too.:dunno Skip:)

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I noticed when I put the 4.11 gears in my car somthing went terribly wrong. It now only goes 130 flat out. I was pulling a grade with 3.36 gears 6,000 on the tack. Thats 144 folks and it was still pulling! And this is no B.S. if you know me. Fuel economy went from 13 to 9. The fun o meter is pegged!:roll Well worth the money at the pump. I would recommend, however, if you do any long distance driving or freeway driving to stay away from the 4.11 unless you have an overdrive. I believe a 3.55 would be a great driver gear.

Norm

Well Known Member
There is a guy in New York that can provide a lot of options for these old rears. His website is: www.rearsgears.com

The business is: Gevo's rears & gears. He has been in business since 1977, nice guy, knows his business. I just bought complete pumpkin from him. Comes with all new gears & posi unit. Also warrants them.

By the way I now have a pumpkin for sale--4.56 gesrs--posi.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Gears

Thanks for the reply's guys.:clap I probably will go with the 3:55. It's funny. The most popular ones, 3:08, 3:36, 3:55's, 3:73 cost the most. The 4:11, 4:56 and 4:88 are more than $ 100.00 cheaper. The laws of supply and demand prevail.:mad: Skip:)

gearhead409

Well Known Member
gears

just took the 250HP 62 out for a drive after work last night, it's the only one i can still afford to drive (20 mpg). i'am getting ready to put it up for the winter. as i was driving along at Ohio's 55MPH speed limit i was thinking of what you all were saying about gear ratios. the old girl's 3.55 just seems to be perfect!

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
what is the name of a 59 rear end is it 10 or 12 bolt or something differant:dunno i have a 3:08 gears.
mike

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
what is the name of a 59 rear end is it 10 or 12 bolt or something differant:dunno i have a 3:08 gears.
mike

Mike, the rear end in our cars,58 through 64 are the old style 10 bolt. GM came out with another 10 bolt later but it is not the same rear.

Norm

Well Known Member
The 55 to 64 rears don't have a rear cover. The entire pumpkin drops out the front of rear end. It is held in by 10 bolts. Reltively easy to change the whole pumpkin. Remove wheels, pull axles (held in by 4 bolts), disconnect driveshaft at rear u-joint, unbolt old pumpkin & drop out ( caution weighs close to 80 lbs. ) , put in new pumpkin, put driveshaft back,put axles back in, put wheels back on. OH--don't forget 90 wt gear oil & posi additive if a posi unit. And you're ready to roll.
I just changed one in 4 hours.

Much easier than newer 10 & 12 bolt rears. With them, you have to mess with shims to set backlash. It can be a very trying experience if you have never attempted before.

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
thanks all,, how many splines on stock axles? and is the g.m 55p a poss. unit?:dunno