Generator Light Will Not Go Off

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Engine not running jumper batt terminal on voltage reg to a or arm on generator . Look for a spark momentarily touching . Do you have a bolt meter you can just put on battery to see what voltage charging system is doing.

Junky

Well Known Member
I believe that he is going to need to take the generator to a shop to have it repaired. For all we know, the "rebuild" was done with defective parts. If he still has his original generator, why not install that one back on the car, unless it was defective, and that is why he bought the rebuilt one off of eBay.

Junky

Well Known Member
I am late seeing this but I had the same problem. Ran the generator ground wire directly to one of the screws that grounds the regulator base. Solved my problem.

That is interesting, since most GM regulators are specifically manufactured to be isolated from grounding, hence the small rubber mounting tabs with the steel washers inside for mounting.

Jerry B

Well Known Member
All the original type regulators for these cars I have seen have 2 mounting screws on top and one on bottom. The top mounts have a tab riveted to the regulator base and the screws go thru the tab and the rubber mounts. This will ground the base. I think the rubber mounts are more to insulate the regulator from vibration.