Generator output

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Just curious what the amp and volt output should be on these? Mine seems to be putting out about 12.8 during idle and just above.

Thinking of adding a hi output alternator over the winter.

Thanks, John

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I would ask, why are you concerned about the charging system? Are you having starting problems? The generators work fine ( if they are in working order ) when used for their intended application. The problem is, we have added HEI ignitions, stereos, and so much more to cars that were designed to run a very basic electrical systems. 12.8 at idle and then a rise to 13 or so upon RPM is fine. There are so many things to watch for when you are going from a split ring generator picking up half of a sine wave through a voltage regulator and then onto the battery. Alternators are definitely better, but don't underestimate the generator, it is a fine working unit. If you are losing voltage, and you have checked the battery, I would perform a milliamp draw test. You would be surprised at how fast some little draw from a radio, power seats, brake light switch etc, can kill a battery. Or maybe you were just asking a general question and I read too much into the question.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
I do have ignition, stereo (1800 watts) in the car now. Halogen head lights and PW to be installed and as well as AC. This why I'm leaning towards the alternator.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think your heading in the right direction. Make sure you get one with enough amps plus a little extra. I haven't done a generator to alternator conversion in a long time, however you should be able to find mods either here, or on the net.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The main reason to have spare generating capacity is the rated amps is more for peak rpm 2500 - 3500 rather than lower RPMs. Wish I could remember where I read this because the number seem a bit high but I don't think it is horrible inaccurate.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Ok so had the car out. Seems like it's putting out 12.4 volts during "most" driving" conditions. It did get up to 13 at about 3700 RPM.

IDK, just think that the alternator conversion is in the cards this winter. I need to make this car as reliable as I can and just the thought that the charging system isn't enough isn't worth the risk.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Ok so had the car out. Seems like it's putting out 12.4 volts during "most" driving" conditions. It did get up to 13 at about 3700 RPM.

IDK, just think that the alternator conversion is in the cards this winter. I need to make this car as reliable as I can and just the thought that the charging system isn't enough isn't worth the risk.
12.4 volts is battery voltage all day long. That generator output is nil to dismal. Did you "flash the field" when you installed the generator? If it did in fact get up to 13 volts, it must have some output.:scratch. Need to troubleshoot the regulator. I agree that an alternator is the way to go. Way less drama. I am using a 65 amp Delco alternator that I installed 10 years ago and haven't touched since. The mount is not even a big deal anymore since we modify the BB mounts. This is a thread on the mount. http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/1963-1965-409-reproduction-alternator-bracket.21590/page-3

Last edited:

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't know if you are interested in the original look or not but they is a company that is making a alternator that looks like a generator and i think is a high output unit.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
62 the generator was on this car when I bought it. 4Speed, I'm not to concerned with IF it looks original with the genie, I just want it to keep everything charged up. And actually, The smaller design of the alternator is appealing over that of the genie as with the new dual power brake reservoir AND dual stage booster, the length of the genie a bit of a pain.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Then without question the alternator is the way to go ,smaller design, more reliable and more amps.