Generator problems...still.

davidg8991

Well Known Member
My generator is still giving me fits. Been repaired 3- times for different issues and still can't seem to make it work.
Just got it back this time and their is the new problem!
Turn the key on and the GEN light comes on. Start the engine and the light goes off on idle, but, as I rev-up the engine the light comes on, and the higher the RPM,s the brighter the light. I am not sending it back for a 4th time. Hoping I can fix it myself.
Note: Yes I did polarize the generator, correctly! My procedure was as follows...With the engine not running, connected a jumper wire from the "BATT" terminal at the voltage regulator and the Armature terminal on the generator for approximately 1-second. Just to be clear, the Armature post is the one "CLOSEST" to the engine, correct!
I thank all of you for your time in this matter.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim's got a good idea.If the charging drops off as the rpm's go up,either the brushes are losing contact or the armature is shorting out.If the voltage drops of gradually,it's brushes most of the time.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim's got a good idea.If the charging drops off as the rpm's go up,either the brushes are losing contact or the armature is shorting out.If the voltage drops of gradually,it's brushes most of the time.

Where's a growler when you need one? Or some good ole testing with a volt meter anyway.