gesto -- 1960 Biscayne Coupe

gesto

Hi Guys,

New guy from Houston. I purchased my 1960 Biscayne the weekend before July 4 off of Ebay from the Dallas area. It is a humble 235 6 / three on the tree, rough and needs everything. I was looking for 61-62 project when I came across the '60 and didn't think I'd win the auction but I guess I overpaid and won. Last plate is from Texas 1998 and there is a 1982 Arkansas inspection sticker on the windshield. Doesn't run. It was a fun time unloading from the trailer with two flat tires and no brakes.

As far as I can tell it has original panels, green paint, trim, glass, interior, drivetrain, etc. Looks like no one has messed with it too much, except someone riveted new sheet metal over the old floors and trunk. That will have to be torn out and new floors welded in. Some rust in the panels but not too bad. I really want to keep the original panels and paint so maybe just focus on rust prevention and cleaning up the paint as much as possible. I'll restore the interior with stock reproduction stuff.

For now my goal is to get the old girl running and back on the road and a drivetrain swap down the road. I'd love to do something like a 500+ hp stroked 409 swap dressed as a 348 -- if I can do something like that in the $10 - 15k range for the engine. That might be tough. No low rider or air bag suspension or pro touring. I like the old super stock cars or original or stock appearing.

Compression test came out ok and I'm going to see if I can't get the old 235 running.

Here's a Youtube walk-around. My video skills aren't the best, I know.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'm with Phil, clear coat that patina and focus on the interior per your interest and populate that drive line with a "W" :).

I think you can build up a good quality 348 block and still get in that HP range no problem. But I get it if you have to have the 409!

Serious bragging rights :).

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Cool car. Welcome!
I really dig the 59 and 60 BelAir and Biscayne. Their lack of trim on that mass of unique body lines is awesome.
A time in automotive design that was not seen before, and never will be seen again.

gesto

Wow, thanks for the hospitality! I plan on keeping the exterior of the car pretty much the way it is except for some rust preventative, cleaning up the paint and clearing it. The interior needs to be restored but as stock as possible, except to relocate the shifter to the floor.

I know very little about 348/409 engines so there is a lot of reading to do.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
For now my goal is to get the old girl running and back on the road and a drivetrain swap down the road. I'd love to do something like a 500+ hp stroked 409 swap dressed as a 348 -- if I can do something like that in the $10 - 15k range for the engine. That might be tough. No low rider or air bag suspension or pro touring. I like the old super stock cars or original or stock appearing.

Amen. You’re the best owner that car couldve found. I like the direction you’re headed with it. I love ‘60 Chevys. My second favorite to 63’s. Would love to own another Biscayne or Bel Air someday. Had this one briefly from ‘09-‘12. Prolly shoulda kept it. Just couldn’t handle the attention it got that’s why I sold it. Sure was fun tho!
DI-GSS_May_0196_zpsa18a1e36.jpg

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Caution;Be very wary of things that you read in these so called "books".This site has people that know and understand these engines far better than any of these authors ever did.

Gesto this is absolutely true. This site is the ONLY resource for these engines as far as I’m concerned. Almost everything I know about W-engines I learned right here. I picked up this book a few years ago, and it’s lacking. Do not buy it. Almost no information about production heads, what castings to use, what mods to make, how to port em, what they flow, nothing. A few casting #’s are missing in the ‘list of casting numbers’, and a lot of misinformation. I remember reading in there that ‘production forged cranks are only good to 500 hp....’:laughing:laughing
AC4CED0F-3072-43D8-A841-2BA49FC0DBBF_zpsykvmbh54.jpeg

There’s tons of info on this site, and man there are no pretenders here. All the info you find here is street, strip, or dyno proven.

Last edited: