Getting a little tired of Show Cars!

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Owning a shop, I buy a ton of parts per month. I have had problems with most every manufacturer one time or another. I have found it is your supplier that makes the difference. The way I see it is the buck stops with whoever took the money. My customers buck stops with me. My buck stops with my supplier. My suppliers buck stops with wherever they sourced the part. Everyone has to do their part for the chain to work. Over the years I have aligned myself with suppliers that treat me the best.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Owning a shop, I buy a ton of parts per month. I have had problems with most every manufacturer one time or another. I have found it is your supplier that makes the difference. The way I see it is the buck stops with whoever took the money. My customers buck stops with me. My buck stops with my supplier. My suppliers buck stops with wherever they sourced the part. Everyone has to do their part for the chain to work. Over the years I have aligned myself with suppliers that treat me the best.

Exactly Brian. Price isn't everything. When it comes to Service after the sale, the cream rises to the top.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Calling out the only exclusive 58-64, 348/409 supplier on the only exclusive 348/409 forum over a 20-30 dollar part....thin ice, man.

I’ve had a couple ‘issues’ with SC if you want to call em that, but they were all resolved quickly and both parties got what they were after. They will continue to receive my business as I continue to piss away paychecks on 55-64 chevy projects.

WINTERTEXAN

Well Known Member
Not everything made in China is junk. It is up to the person/company that is importing these parts to make sure they meet certain quality standards. To often price out ways quality.
We have a few parts made in China but not before exhausting attempts to have them manufactured in the U.S.A we have made it a goal to stock a part made in the U.S. over a imported one. Many times we have rejected the samples they have sent us. Sometimes we have to reject that part 5 or 6 times before they make it the way we want it done.
None of the electrical parts you are talking about here are imported by Show Cars . These are purchased by us from United States vendors. Almost always they were made in America when we started carrying them, then somewhere along the line they outsourced them to China (or Mexico, India, Japan, Germany or ?) They never tell us that they are doing this and certainly do not ask our permission.
If and when we find a part causes more problems than they are worth, we will inform our customer that it is of poor quality or we will drop it. If you see a vendor selling a part and can not find it in our catalog more then likely it is of very poor quality.

In the case of the headlight switch that started this discussion, we have sold 22 in 3 years and if any others were bad, we have never heard about it. But if you get a bad one, you have to send it back to us if you want warranty, that is the only way we get our money back from the vendor. most electrical parts do not come with a warranty and if they do it is up to the vendor / manufacture to make this call to repair or replace.

6776 6024 6025 are imported parts

Not Everything made in the US is perfect. The following parts are made in the US that we have issues with:

6776 62 Hood lip molding, driver quality, may have scratches scuff marks small dents and other imperfections, no returns or refunds Ea $180.00

6024 63 Hood Lip molding, driver quality, may have scratches scuff marks small dents and other imperfections, no returns or refunds Ea $180.00

6025 64 Hood Lip molding, driver quality, may have scratches scuff marks small dents and other imperfections, no returns or refunds Ea…………………………………...$180.00

Bottom line: it is up to the vendors who produces or has items produced to make sure the quality is there.

Bruce Show Cars

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yes Bruce, thanks for taking the time to explain. I've never understood why a part can't be made perfectly the first time. You must have a template or prototype of an original to use for an example. Do it once, do it right, Carmine.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was an Executive with several large manufacturing companies over my career. Simply said you quickly realize you cannot trust China manufacturers. They contractually promise to deliver products or components to spec; they don’t. They may in year one but not afterwards. Changing suppliers just started the cycle over again.

While with one company, we hired an “independent” 3rd party Chinese quality assurance firm to sample/inspect electric motors before shipment to US; waste of money. We then hired a European firm to do the same; waste of money. It was likely they were paid off. We then hired an American inspector who spoke fluent Mandarin; paid his living expenses and required the supplier to allow in-plant inspection by our employee of the components we ordered. The supplier cancelled the contract. Incredibly frustrating!

At another company, containers of seeds imported to supplement domestic product supply contained high percentages of “rocks” in order to “fulfill” contacted container weighed prior to shipment.

I could go on!

floyd

Well Known Member
Almost all electronic parts are made cheaply to fail,volume not quality.Thats why there cheap.Same with tires,designed to fail.America needs to wake up.Go back to making things here,build it right,last longer.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
While having some of my prototype tools manufactured in China, they were to use s2 modified steel. Needless to say when I tested them, they broke like glass. I had the hardness tested and it was in spec. I told the tool company the tools met the Rockwell test so they must have used the wrong material. The company was shocked I went through the trouble to find out what went wrong. They had done testing and came to the same conclusion. Said it was not uncommon to have issues like this. It was eventually ironed out.

floyd

Well Known Member
I remember when companies made something they took a sample,to test it,not wait tell it failed.Too many steps have been replaced by greed,lazyness,example the air bag issue.How in the hell can you make so many air bags,and not know they are bad until people get hurt or killed.You can say shit happens,I know better!

floyd

Well Known Member
This is why I love older chevys,Fix the flaws have a safe vehicle,better than the junk out there now,designed to fail with first little hit.I do know if I get hit in my truck,my tire wont fly off,front end fall apart.