Getting a little tired of Show Cars!

floyd

Well Known Member
Not everything made in China,Mexico.Alot of these cheap parts also come from Germany,Brazil.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Is this a tread about the year we were born?? If so, I was born in 1950. I'm the youngest yet :dunno2, Carmine.

Junky

Well Known Member
What I find amazing is, China can make Motherboards, Video Cards, Hard Drives etc. for Computers. :clap Why can't they make a usable Auto Light Switch?:doh

You can't compare electronic components to mechanical components, because they are entirely different processes. Yes, China can make both excellently, however, at a price. For them to make a part at the same quality level of the OEM part, it is going to cost a lot more to produce. Consequently, it will also cost a lot more money when it is sold. Unfortunately, most US consumers want the least expensive part that is available, and as a result, that means manufacturing a sub standard product. Personally, I prefer to pay more and get a better product. As for the Hot/Cold switch, I bought them at Advance, NAPA, CARQUEST, O'Reilys, and they all failed within a few months. I tried finding a NOS one, and it took me almost a year of looking on eBay before I found one. Same for oil pressure switches. They fail regularly, and even the OEM units develop a leak in a year or two. They never lasted very long in my experience, and replacing them is easy. I just hate cleaning up the oil mess that the defective one leaves behind.
To address Show Cars business model, I would believe that they have had too many people never return the defective product after they got the replacement, so I don't see this as unreasonable for them to require the defective product be returned in advance of sending out the replacement. I personally would have no problem with them charging my credit card for the replacement, and crediting back the charge when they receive the defective part back. To me, this is just common sense, and has no bearing on how much you have purchased from them and / or any other supplier. You have every right to purchase your parts from where ever you choose. If you don't like a particular business model, then don't purchase from that company. In retail, there is a slogan .... "Fire the customer.".... This means that the retailer suggest that you not purchase from them in the future, and they will refuse your business. In 45+ years in business, I have only had to do this 2 or 3 times, but it was necessary, because the customer was a constant problem, returning product as "defective", because they found it elsewhere for less. You come in screaming and hollering, we will politely ask you to leave. If you want a refund, we will promptly give you the refund.

floyd

Well Known Member
Well the problem is most electronic parts are made over seas,with junk parts,made to fail.Most of the time you have to google the part you need,and research the part.Part stores are not there to sell quality parts,just want your money.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I think many times, we are left with the take it or leave it, attitude. So we have to make a decision. I guess overall, I'm grateful for a replacement part but just wish it was better quality, Carmine.

Junky

Well Known Member
Dig a little deeper into your pockets, and you will find most times the quality improves with the higher cost. That doesn't mean that if you spend more, you will automatically get a better product. That is where your noggin comes into play. You need to be able to recognize the rip off part from the better quality part. Everyone is out to make the sale, and they will tell you what they believe you want to hear. Give it some thought before you plunk down your money, and ask all the correct questions, including how long they guarantee the part. Also, don't forget the NOS parts on eBay. Not always cheap, but beggars can't be choosey! Also, get it in writing with a legible signature.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sometimes, in my Ames Pontiac catalog of parts, they will critique the part offered as being fair, good or show quality. That's nice of them to do that because you are now aware that there can be some differences in the part. Your decision to make. Danchuk, which specializes in trifive Chevy parts, also has what they call a blemish sale, I think twice a year. I've bought alot of parts for my '56 and '57 during this sale, and have never been disappointed. Saved a ton of money by waiting for this sale. Yet, to this day, I still can't tell what is wrong with some of the parts. For example, the complete taillight housing for my '56 Chevy. When this first arrived, I looked and looked and looked. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. The chrome. The fit. Very good. Still looks great. Guess we just have to careful as to what we buy. I try and stay with more of a major vendor in case I have issues with the part. One particular vendor for Impala parts, I will not deal with. They are arrogant, nasty and they knowingly sell a particular part that they admit to being defective. They received many complaints including mine, but sell it anyway. This would be an in dash tach. So, it goes back to what I said in another thread. Take it or leave it, Carmine.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Big reason why most of us buy aftermarket parts is to modify our cars for the better. I'm not running drums on the front of my Wagon because Disc brakes are better. Also pitched my single master cylinder for a dual. You can find a manufacture to make anything you want but how much are you willing to pay? Anyone here ever had an electrical fire under their dash due to bad parts? I had a factory ignition switch catch fire back in highschool and I replaced it with a cheap chinese piece that never failed me for another 25 years I've owned the car. As far as advice from SC, I have had some good advice from them and some not so great advice but like anything else in life. If you want it done right then do it yourself and spend the time it takes to get it right. Remember that even NASA buys from the lowest price and some how we still made it to the moon.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Big reason why most of us buy aftermarket parts is to modify our cars for the better. I'm not running drums on the front of my Wagon because Disc brakes are better. Also pitched my single master cylinder for a dual. You can find a manufacture to make anything you want but how much are you willing to pay? Anyone here ever had an electrical fire under their dash due to bad parts? I had a factory ignition switch catch fire back in highschool and I replaced it with a cheap chinese piece that never failed me for another 25 years I've owned the car. As far as advice from SC, I have had some good advice from them and some not so great advice but like anything else in life. If you want it done right then do it yourself and spend the time it takes to get it right. Remember that even NASA buys from the lowest price and some how we still made it to the moon.
The crew of the Challenger would have probably disagreed with your last statement.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I don't, like bashing vendors. Without them, our Hobby is useless.:doh Most are terrific, others are Crap.:bat Twenty or so years ago, I purchased a upper trunk moulding from Harmon's. When I received it, it was poorly made, and the chrome was grainy and scratched. I immediately got on the horn. I was not rude or pissy at all.:clap What I got back, from this person was he was doing me a favor, by selling me these parts, because without Them, our hoppy would dry up. I should just be grateful, that I was able to get any upper trunk mouldings. Wow, should I bow down and kiss his ring?:dunno2 What an A$$hole. After listening to this BS, I told him, I'm returning this defective part, and I would be happy, if he sent me a nicer one.:applI believe, I had to pay the shipping back.:doh After about 2 1/2 weeks, I did receive another moulding.:clap Much better. No scratches. Nicer Shine. After installing all the clips, and putting it on, :tantrumit was 1/8 " too short. It did not reach, all the way from edge to edge.:bat Did not even bother, to call and complain. Just have to live with it.:cry1 I want to make something clear. This was NOT, the Great folks, the run Chevrolet Restoration World. They Are Awesome.:bow

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If you know its bad why buy it.
Simple. Didn't know it was bad at the time. There was nothing else available (used) anyplace. So it was either this or nothing. In all due honestly, given the same circumstances, I still would have bought it. Only difference would have been sending it out to be repaired/calibrated before installation. I already had it installed when it started acting out. Once fixed, it work great, Carmine.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The crew of the Challenger would have probably disagreed with your last statement.
Not really. I was a member of the youth space camp program when the Challenger blew up and watched it explode with everyone too. That wasn't a flaw in a part put on but a flaw in how parts were used. The engineer that warned of the possible failure of the seals on the solid booster was later credited with his findings before launch but there wasn't enough data at that point on that specific area of the rocket to determine that the launch should be scrubbed. I was lucky enough to see a launch up close in person back in 2000 just before the other shuttle broke apart over Texas. I was living in Dallas at the time and didn't see it break apart but it was close enough that I would have if I were up earlier. Every person knows the risk who would venture to space. We will see more people die going up and coming down. Its unfortunate but a reality. Both times people died it could be attributed not to bad manufacturing but lack of situational awareness. Sad. :( Like Dave said the O-rings weren't meant to get that cold and you seen what happened. We learned from that mistake and the ones before and after that. Even in this day and age we still crash rockets all of the time.

floyd

Well Known Member
When I buy parts for my vehicles,I stay with Napa parts,research the rest.Most chevy parts are good quality.For front end parts,the best ones are the expensive ones.