Getting Excited in Idaho !!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, I'm getting all excited about the up coming trip to Thompson !!!!! :cool Took the Avalanche, trailer and BelAir down to the shop on Monday and got the L/L hitch, brake controler and tie downs installed. Took her out for a test drive and you hardly know the traler is back there, other than the weight on a hill. Drove about fourty miles and she just tracked straight with no waggle, even in the wind !!! :clap

We got back to the house, just in time for a big wind and rain storm ! :eek::bang Didn't get her unloaded before it hit, so by the time I got her back into the shop, she was a mess ! I'll post some pictures as soon as I can get them loaded. Took her over to the car wash last night and cleaned her up, even though it was only 49 degrees outside.

Sure made a mess of the car !!!!

picture.php

picture.php

I thought I'd start this tread, to track my progress and post some pictures along the way. We plan to leave on the 29th so that we can attend a family wedding along the way, then head out toward Ohio on the 30th. Not planning any long hard days of driving, because I'll have to take two weeks off work anyway, so we might as well take our time and enjoy things along the way. We will be heading down I-80, so if we will be passing your area look for us and honk, or get in touch with me and maybe we can arrange a visit.

Hope to see alot of you there, we are really looking forward to seeing everyone again. :cheers:cheers Sounds like the crowd is growing and some very interesting people are planning to attend !!! Should be an even better event than last year, and we had a great time then !!! :cool::cool: Having the car there is going to make it even better !

See you there

Bill and Linda

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bill, I'm in about the same state of mind. Excited-Excited-Excited!!!! My trailer is being used right now-so I can't do much with the new hitch untill I've got a trailer sittin' here to experiment with! It my be trial and error. I hope that I don't have to call you in route to get instructions on adjusting the darn thing. Also I like to say"HATS OFF" to you and Petepedlar and any one else making a long haul to attend:bow:bow:bow Your journey will make my 625 trip look like a walk in the park. Maybe we can get something going in the midwest in the next few years? Hummm- maybe K.C.-what do you think Phil????
So much for the nicitys, Don't forget or don't spend your HOT DOG money along the way, I might be hungry by then!!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
No need to worry !!

Mike,

Having money for the hot dog, won't be a problem, I'm not the one buying !!! :cool::cool:

I can tell you what they did with mine. They had the truck at normal ride height, then adjusted the hitch to match up with the trailer, when it was about level. Then they set the amount of tention on the leveling hitch. Mine is up to the forth chain link, hardly know it's back there !!! :clap:clap

See you at Thompson.

Bill

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Ah..........the journey!!!!:clap:clap:clap

For me............mostly 2 lane highways..............60-70 miles an hour on the Harley and you get to SEE and SMELL ALL the countryside!!!! Love hog farms!!!!

As much as we will all enjoy the weekend............most of our remaining time will be telling our friends about "the journey"!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:cool::cool::cool:

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've got a lot of respect for all of you long haul guys.:clap

This year's event is going to be a blast. I'm really happy Hayden Proffitt's going to be there.
Only about four weeks to go.:deal

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Jim I don't know for sure who all is involved in this Old Fools thing. I beleive that there were 7 or 8 people intrested, but I'm unsure who is serious about it. I guess I could start a new thread to find out for sure. Also, I think that you just might qualify for the Old Fool part, and that fine '57 would look great making a pass or two!!!!!! Mike

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jim I don't know for sure who all is involved in this Old Fools thing. I beleive that there were 7 or 8 people intrested, but I'm unsure who is serious about it. I guess I could start a new thread to find out for sure. Also, I think that you just might qualify for the Old Fool part, and that fine '57 would look great making a pass or two!!!!!! Mike

Mike, my short block is 47 years old. I can't afford to replace the short block if anything happened to it :doh

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I am going to be the 1st to wish everyone going to Thompson the very best. I unfortunatly won't be able to make it this year.To many priorities in the way.

Most of all, Have fun and play safe!!! I'm sure I will hear all about the event when you guys get back.:clap:clap:clap:D:cheers:cheers

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Help and Guidance ??

Okay, need some guidance and information. The drive from Idaho to Thompson looks pretty straight forward until we cross the Mississippi River, hardly need a map, just get on I=80 and drive ! Then things really change, not only the heavey population and traffic, but which road ?? I-80 and I-90 combine into a Toll Road !!! Thought I already paid for the Interstate, what's up with that ? :dunno

Anyway, I'm wondering what it will cost to tow the car across Illinois, Indiana and Ohio ? Is there a better way to come across there, or best just to suck it up and pay the tolls ? :dunno We don't have toll roads out west, so I don't have a clue what I need to know. Keep lots of cash/change in the car or do we pay at the end ?

Well, that's what the "Old Fool" from backwoods Idaho needs to know.

Thanks
Bill and Linda

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Okay, need some guidance and information. The drive from Idaho to Thompson looks pretty straight forward until we cross the Mississippi River, hardly need a map, just get on I=80 and drive ! Then things really change, not only the heavey population and traffic, but which road ?? I-80 and I-90 combine into a Toll Road !!! Thought I already paid for the Interstate, what's up with that ? :dunno

Anyway, I'm wondering what it will cost to tow the car across Illinois, Indiana and Ohio ? Is there a better way to come across there, or best just to suck it up and pay the tolls ? :dunno We don't have toll roads out west, so I don't have a clue what I need to know. Keep lots of cash/change in the car or do we pay at the end ?

Well, that's what the "Old Fool" from backwoods Idaho needs to know.

Thanks
Bill and Linda

Bill, I like driving on toll roads, you don't have to worry about merging traffic or missing an exit, or these drivers that think there on a NASCAR track. They have lots of rest stops with gas stations and restaurants when you want to stretch your legs. You pay the toll when you leave a state line, I can't remember the price, but it can't be that bad, because I keep using the toll roads :dunno

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
trip to Ohio

Bill,
Are we still meeting in Missouri Valley, Iowa near 1-80(on Wednesday)? I have my body shop guy going with me, he did the body work and paint on my 62 SS. We will have to forgive him he is a 396 chevelle owner.

I think the gasser reunion also got him to go.

Paul

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bill, the only toll roads I encountered, as I recall, were in Oklahoma on I-40 and they charged by the axle. There may be a toll in Ohio near Cleveland, but I don't remember. Of couirse I -80 is probably different. Watch out for the State Police at the toll plazas. They like to catch out of state drivers for things like improper lane changes (where the lane markers are faded out) leaving the toll booths. At least they do in OK.:cuss:evil

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bill,
Are we still meeting in Missouri Valley, Iowa near 1-80(on Wednesday)?
Paul

Paul,

I'm still planning on being there on Tuesday night, and we'll link up Wednesday morning and head out. Glad to hear you found someone to ride the right seat, that will make it a shorter drive !

Bill

Bill, I like driving on toll roads, you don't have to worry about merging traffic or missing an exit, or these drivers that think there on a NASCAR track. They have lots of rest stops with gas stations and restaurants when you want to stretch your legs. :dunno

Jim - Thanks for the information. Frequent stops are always part of my travels, must be an "Old Guy" thing !!! :roll:roll

Bill

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Paul,

I'm still planning on being there on Tuesday night, and we'll link up Wednesday morning and head out. Glad to hear you found someone to ride the right seat, that will make it a shorter drive !

Bill

Jim - Thanks for the information. Frequent stops are always part of my travels, must be an "Old Guy" thing !!! :roll:roll

Bill

The only time I don't have to pee is when I'm peeing! :dunno