Getting ready to start my motor, primer needed.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
I was wondering if I could barrow an oil primer, I am assuming it would be a distributor minus the gear. I would need it for about a week. I pay all shipping of course. I live in Arizona near Tucson, AZ. If someone is near by I could pick it.

Thanks for any help.....

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
You could make one easy. Piece of threaded rod size of the oil pump shaft. Put a nut on the end thread it up a bit. Grind both sides flat until they fit the slot. Wind the nut down a few threads past the grind this will hold it on the shaft. Cut the other end to length and just put it in the drill.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You could make one easy. Piece of threaded rod size of the oil pump shaft. Put a nut on the end thread it up a bit. Grind both sides flat until they fit the slot. Wind the nut down a few threads past the grind this will hold it on the shaft. Cut the other end to length and just put it in the drill.
If I remember right isn't there a reason you are supposed to use one made for the W motor? Has to be sealed somewhere to actually pump oil to all of the motor properly or something?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
WRONG for a W engine,Tim.You must have a way for the oil passages to line up internally to be able to prime the whole oiling system. As James said,your way will not allow the oil to get up top of the engine,hence an old W dist.or an adapter made specificly for the W engine.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
WRONG for a W engine,Tim.You must have a way for the oil passages to line up internally to be able to prime the whole oiling system. As James said,your way will not allow the oil to get up top of the engine,hence an old W dist.or an adapter made specificly for the W engine.
Realized that don after I posted. I have an old w motor distributor so I’m ok for mine

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You have to have a way to line up passages on sbc's and bbc's too.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I guess if I remember, it’s a while back and I still have the shaft I made I can’t remember if oil came out the push rods??:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno2 Motor worked and never had an issue...guess that was shithouse luck

rarerodder

So, ARP's priming tool for small/big blocks will not work to get the oil all the way up-right?

arp-130-8802_xl.jpg

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Since this is the priming thread, I have the old distributor in and when I turn the shaft I get resistance in one place the rest free, took it out and did it with a long screwdriver and same thing. When I put the pump in I checked the pump and no resistance. I have the 409 shaft with the steel collar. Any ideas?