Getting the 55 ready for Clay City

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We've been making some progress on the 55. The windows are in and most of the interior is done. We also made some adapters to mount the electric water pump. We started with a big block pump. Then we took the legs off and changed them so that the part that usually goes to the block goes to the pump instead. That widened things out enough that we could make a couple of adapter plates out of thick aluminum. We had to drill the water passage on an angle through the adapter plate but it worked out fine.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 180

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We used sheets of aluminum for the interior panels and we're using cheapo Summit gauges. I think we came up with a pretty good way of working the Plexiglas side windows. We used sailboat hardware. It works perfectly and it's got that stripped down gasser look going for it. I went and got the Dana 60 and 4 link yesterday so we'll be working on the chassis soon.:cheers

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 117
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 89

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Wait a minute! Have I missed something?? Where did that intake come from? Will that be on the engine at Clay City? The work on the 55 is top notch as usual. I am struggling with the weather here, hasn't reached 30 dgs in days. Degreeing cam is next. I hope it warms up so I can start assembly.

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
manifold

I'm wondering about that manifold too. I love the way you did the side windows.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We must be in the same weather system up here. It's been colder than usual, I hope it warms up soon.:deal I almost forgot about the tunnel ram. It's not done yet but it's coming along pretty well. We're making it out of steel because I can't weld aluminum very well. I used 1/4" thick 4" flat bar for the two runners that bolt to the heads. That's pretty heavy but I didn't want the welding to warp them too much. I'm also going to use 1/4" for the carb mounting surface, everything else is 16 gage. The total distance from the back of the valve to the plenum is a little less than 12" so it should boost the horsepower in the 5,400 to 6,400 range.:dunno I think we're going to run the factory manifold that's already on the engine we're going to put in first. Then, once we've got the car dialed in we'll install the tunnel ram so that we can see how much difference it makes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 104

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
Wow!!!!!!!

You guy's are too much. I got to come up to your shop one of these days. It must be nice to have a nice heated shop to work in. I bet if you practiced at it you could weld aluminum.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I've got an idea

How about yoo'se guys taking a road trip here to my garage! The way you work you could be done and out of here in a day. I'll just stay in the house and make us a big spaghetti and meatball dinner for when your done, I'll bet the car would never run better. :brow

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
" I almost forgot about the tunnel-ram!!!!!" Im running out of words for compliments. Golly Jim, great job on everything. I plan on taking a hundred pictures of your car at Clay City, so I can come home and steal some of your ideas. Cant steal many though, Im not talented enough to copy your work. :bow

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
fatride said:
How about yoo'se guys taking a road trip here to my garage! The way you work you could be done and out of here in a day.

I don`t know Ray,,, You might have to turn on the AC ,,,all that hot air would get that garage way too hot !!!:roll :roll

DANG,,, That 55 is turing out way cool !!!! Wish i could make it to Clay City,,,:cry

No409

Supporting Member 1
Jim, 55 looks awesome.

what you gonna do for headers? im gonna be looking for a set for a 409 for my 55 soon, fenderwell of course!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom, Here's a picture of my headers. I had to build them because of the engine set back. I really wanted fenderwell headers but the engine set back also ment that it was easier to go under the frame.:cry If the engine was in the stock position I think I would have got a set of fenderwell headers designed for either a big block or small block and modified them to fit the 409. By the way Speedway Motors has them.
It's great to have a nice heated shop for working on the car. Myself and the other Jim are partners in a small trucking company. That's how we can keep a shop and have some tools that we normally couldn't afford. It's not too busy this time of year so we've had more time than usual to work on the car. A sign painter friend of mine came over today and started lettering the car. It's looking great!:beerbang He hopes to finish it tomorrow. I'll post some pictures when he's done.:deal

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 111

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks Aubrey, As I said I think we'll dial the car in with the stock manifold, then drop the tunnel ram on. It'll be interesting to see how much difference it makes. I've always thought the stock manifold was a real choke point once you started getting up into the 500hp range. It might have been smarter to save for one of the new aluminum manifolds but I've always wanted to build one. I'll post more pictures when it's done.