Glass bowl gas filter

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Changed the gas filter in the glass bowl. Purchased the filter from Show-Cars.
Before you start all the negative comments, I’m not a racer & I like the stock look, so stop before you start.
Anyway I thought I’d comment on the Quality of the filter.
The top & paper filter Element of the filter were fine, as it went right up into the Metal fuel line part.
It’s the bottom of the filter element that has a lot to problems. quality control issue.
It’s made of a harder flat material then the filter.
That material was not lined up to the rest of the filter, so when you placed the glass bowl around it with the gasket the system would leak.
Figured out all you need to do is trim any of that bottom base to the paper element and the filter lines up great, no leaks.
Also don’t over tighten the nut that hold the glass bowl up or you will cut the gasket.

Dave

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have the original glass bowl filter on mine, a little over 55 years now. I don't have a paper filter, that is not what they came with. I have changed the gasket half a dozen times over the years, maybe more. Leaking has not been a problem if the gasket has been maintained. We have one IHRA track and 3 NHRA tracks in the state. I have raced at all of them. They tech every race, none has ever mentioned the glass bowl. Two throttle return springs are required, drive shaft loop, legal Snell helmet, etc, etc, but the glass bowl has never been mentioned. It was not mentioned at the 2014 409 race in Kansas either. But I have to admit, the tech at that race was not very thorough. ;)