glass fuel filter sprung a leak

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Close call! Backing out of the driveway car sounded like it was going to die. Hmm. Blip the throttle and get a wiff of fuel. Shut the car off and see a trail of fuel and puddles on the intake YOWZAS! Bubbled the paint on the block and everything! :bang:cuss

SO those of you running the 2-hole glass bowl fuel filter, should I replace the gasket? I bought this one from Showcars...is there a better one available? Phil?? Haven't had any issues with the filter leaking till today! Perhaps the ethanol ate the gasket?

This setback now forces me to miss a huge car show tomorrow with my buddies. Figures!

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Tractors and equipment use the same style sediment bowl. Maybe a parts store would have a gasket for it.Get some cork gasket matereal and make one.

jas63ss

Supporting Member 1
I had one of these installed for the initial start of of my QB that I never did get to stop leaking (spraying would be a better description), I tried different gaskets etc and finally I ended up changing to an inline filter.

mac1

Well Known Member
I've had mine on for six years. It leaked when I first fired up the motor in 06. I tightened the knurled nut to the point I thought the glass bowl would break, but it's been ok since 06.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Just think soon we'll have 15% Ethanol! that's getting to wear jetting is not going to be right esp our small engines.

bobs409

Administrator
I don't believe they will force that on us old car owners. I think it will be a seperate fuel for new cars supposedly designed to run on it unless I heard it wrong. But nothing would surprise me in this day.

I heard that due to the low corn crops this year, the 10% mandatory use of ethenol will be lifted or relaxed for a while. Not sure what that means for us at the pump. :scratch

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I bought a used original glass filter and it leaked something fierce when I did my first pressure test. The housing has been tweaked, making the glass bowl rock back and forth on the sealing surface. I've been toying with the idea of buying the return-line version. But now i'm scared to run one at all. Fire, whether electrical or fuel based is my biggest fear. :hide

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wouldn't run a glass bowl filter if the housing was tweaked/warped. But there is no reason why a gasket designed to be in contact with fuel should leak. I think the rubber gasket they supply with these glass bowl fuel filters is not up to the task. It should be nitrile rubber or a cork material of some kind. I did find that you can get the replacement filter/gaskets at your local parts store....which will include a gasket. I intend to pick one up to inspect the gasket material. If I can find one, I'll get the WIX as I still believe they produce the best quality filters you can buy. The Napa part # below should be a rebranded WIX. If the gasket that comes with the fuel filter is nitrile rubber it should have the chalking like a rubber glove would have.

Part #'s:
Fram CG3
Napa #3034
WIX #33034

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I was at a car show several weeks ago and a g older gentleman walked up to me and asked if that was my gold '58. I answered "Yes" and he went on to explain that he was a "teck inspector" for the national street rod assc. and that they have basicly banned the use of glass sediment bowls. He went on to say that any street rod that they inspect and certify can not have that type of fuel filter on it. He said that they had quite a few cars burn to the ground because of that type of filter. I don't know if all he said was 100 percent true but he spoke with a great passion and went on to say he'd sure hate to see mine burn because of that! several times I've changed filters or had the fuel lines off and I had fuel leaks and had to fight with it to get it to quit leaking. Yellow Wagon and I'm sure many others were quite lucky the block and everything was still cool and didn't cause a bad situation! Again, I don't know if all that man said was true, but its sure starting to make good sence to me!!! Oh my glass filter is still on the car, but it sure might disappear over the winter. Mike

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I know they're not legal for NHRA sanctioned tracks. My dad pointed that out to me the second I told him I liked the way they looked. I have no intentions of using the warped one I have either. I have access to our oring stock here at work, used for sealing down-hole tools in the drilling industry. I'm looking to see if I have a square oring that will fit that housing. On my own time of course....:rublol

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The more I have thought about it this morning I have decided to go away with the glass bowl sediment filter. Its just not worth the risk to me! I drive my wife and son in that car so having doubt in my mind everytime I start the car or drive it is not worth it to me. SO my solution:

1. replace the section of hard line from the fuel pump to the tee fitting on the carb with one piece
  2. add an inline fuel filter back near the fuel tank...perhaps using one of those screw on type filters for easy servicing. Fram makes the most commonly seen one. You could easily get away with adding a WIX or Fram metal barbed style filter also. Those are cheap, durable and work as they are supposed to.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Now that sounds like a PLAN ,Jason.I wouldnt run one of those galss set-up's either,appearences be damned,safetyfirst!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Don. I really wanted to use the glass bowl filter assembly but its just not worth it. I got lucky once with it, don't want to test it again.

What is everyone running for a fuel filter? And where? It should work just fine to mount a fuel filter BEFORE the fuel pump correct?