Glass packs

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I don't know about the cherry bombs and purple hornies nowadays,but back as late as the late 70's early 80's all glasspacks I ever saw weren't terribly loud,but as they got older and the glass matting inside them would burn out and they would get louder.Some guys that wanted a louder exhaust would take their rig out and run the piss out of it to get the exhaust nice and hot and then would stick the garden hose up the tailpipe to get matting to break up and blow out,kind of accelerating the aging process.

Never hear that one.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I hadn't heard of the garden hose either. We used to pump them full of grease to burn them out quicker.

427John

Well Known Member
I had Thrush glass packs on the Bisky back in the 70's, may as well have been open headers. I've been told Porters sound pretty good.
I remember the old thrush cans well,they made to old term loud pedal extremely accurate seems like they weren't too terribly noisy until you whacked the gas pedal then it woke everybody up.But they did have to be some of the coolest looking mufflers ever.

427John

Well Known Member
Until recently I had an old set of those thrush cans sitting in my garage had been there for years.I had taken them off of a 72 satellite parts car that had been sitting since the early 80's with a brand new 440 HP and 727 in it.The mufflers had been installed with the new engine and had just sat there,the blue and white stripe graphics were still in really good shape with only minimal burning and rust,but they were only 2.25" so I never used them.A buddy of mine acquired a 64 k code 289HP Fairlane that was pretty much stock,I told I thought they would look great sprayed with some high temp clear and would work great with a set of 2.25' duals on that little 289 he agreed so I gave them to him.After he got them installed he called me to come see & hear them,when I got there he had masked off the thrush head graphic and painted everything else with that silver aluminized paint,all of the blue and whie stripe graphic was gone,I was so mad I could have choked him,but they did sound great.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Buy a new set of glass packs and before you install them.........pour a quart of your favorite oil in and install. Then take your car out for a long ride. The hot exhaust will burn the fiberglass outta the muffler!!!!!! Problem solved........louder exhaust!!!!!!!!

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
427 John. I could have used those thrush mufflers for my Rambler. 69 S/C. When i bought it it had one thrush and one bullet glass pack on it. It was a bit loud for me so I put on Hush Thrush mufflers like some cars shipped to areas where glass packs were illegal. Another car, 69 W31 olds Cutlass got 2 1/2 perforated core glasspacks that would rattle windows and set off car alarms. Got more civilized with my other Cutlass and put Hemi mufflers on it. The cops couldn't hear it across town with them.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I have a pair of Dynomax mufflers on my 62SS car (with a 409), coupled to stock 2.5" center dumps with 2" exit pipes and for the first year of driving I had a cackling sound coming out of that rather stock exhaust system. We added a small set of bullet glass packs just ahead of the rear axle and that took the cackle out. Now I have four mufflers before dumping out behind the rear wheels in the factory location. Sounds OK to me.

We have headers destined for the 62 Biscayne project, not sure where to go from there, but I like the Dynomax sound so that's the starting point.

Do you guys know how "race mufflers" sound? I assume little to no restrictions/baffling. There's a guy selling them in 2.5" and 3" sizes around here for $60 per pair, thought that might be a cheap option for a mean street sound.

TomK

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I had friends and relatives, that had Smithy's on their cars, in the 50's. They sounded really nice.:clap When I got my first Chevy in 64, I put them on. They sounded Awesome.:applMy second childhood, I decided to put them on my next 409.:doh They did Not sound anything like the original Smithy's. Too blatty, when you let off the gas.:bang Cop Callers. I left them on, for 5 years because I didn't drive the car that much.:rolleyes Put MagnaFlows on. They soon started sounding offensive, as the packing got older.:dunno2 Bought Thrush Turbo's last year. Didn't get a chance, to put them on, because of my 2 week vacation, in the hospital. Hopefully, this summer, I will find time. When I put my 355, in my Chevy, I had 2 regular style mufflers from LGC. They were fairly quiet, and the sound was not overpowering. The solid lifter, engine sounds were great. Two or three backfires, caused the muffler's to have weird looking bulges in them.:laugh They soon went to the Landfill.:clap

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom, they are more than mean sounding. The first time I put my little Nova out on the street, it had a set of Flowmaster Pros on it. Not only were they loud, I just hated the sound, I replace them with some Hooker Aero Chambers which are loud, but not completely obnoxious.

I run my '61 through the mufflers, they are Spintechs which are also loud but a little deeper. I have some "augers" that I put in the tail pipe tips when I street-drive it. They are very nice mufflers.

427John

Well Known Member
I'm partial to the turbo mufflers too,got a set of the old walker super turbos on my Starliner in 2.5" with a crossover H pipe ahead of the mufflers I still like the way it sounds,the next system I have done I will probably use the dynomax turbos hopefully they're the same as the old walkers.I think the key is to get the mufflers as far back as possible while keeping them in front of the axle to keep the tailpipes from getting too long,I believe that's what causes the blatty sound on deceleration.If you put them too far forward the heat will burn them out quickly,I found that out the hard way.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I remember creeping down the alley at about 4mph to get to garage behind my house many nights around 2am trying not wake up the neighborhood. ‘Usually goosed the motor for grins before turning key off anyway:laugh4

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have cheap summit 22” glasspacks and 3” exhaust that dumps in front of my rear tires. Everyone says they hear the blower whine before my exhaust so those glasspacks are not too loud to me.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
First 63 new had the blue walker glasspacks I think. Driving on a Sunday afternoon one time in the summer with all window's down and driving next to a high curb and kind of making the motor lag with 4 speed and you could hear every cylinder hitting cackling ,girl friend (then) not wife now says, " your car sounds like a tractor".:D