Glass packs

catdoctor

Well Known Member
Trying to be back in the day. High school time. My first car was a 250hp 59 Chevy Impala. The car had dual exhaust with glass packs. Great sound back then. I was thinking about a set for the 56. My son said Dad the ones they make now are really loud. I admit I haven’t heard them in a long time. So should I search for some n o s glass packs or go with something more modern?

Attachments

• 63E3EB9A-B362-43E0-9C73-D8480C6980CE.jpeg
    63E3EB9A-B362-43E0-9C73-D8480C6980CE.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 28

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I put Thrush glass packs on my IH pickup. It's not loud, but only a mild 327 in it. They are they perforated core, not the louvered core. I had louvered core (unknown brand) on it for a while, but I thought they were too quiet.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I had glass packs back when I was in high school and I think they were continentals (green color). Far as having them now, I have a 67 Corvette with factory side exhaust and after a 100 mile trip down the highway you are ready to get out of that thing.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have been riding Harley's for 48 years and mostly with straight pipes. I now have a Street Glide with factory exhaust on it and everyone ask me if I am going to put custom (loud) exhaust on it. I tell them no I love it quit and like to listen to the stereo (man am I old). I also tell them if I want to be loud and ignorant I get on the Wideglide it has straight pipes and is real loud, but not to often. It is fun thou to go through the gears while going under the Interstate overpass. LOL

427John

Well Known Member
For the life of me I didn’t think the glass pack way back then was too loud. Must have been an age thing. Hey what did you say is my favorite line now. I wonder why?
I don't know about the cherry bombs and purple hornies nowadays,but back as late as the late 70's early 80's all glasspacks I ever saw weren't terribly loud,but as they got older and the glass matting inside them would burn out and they would get louder.Some guys that wanted a louder exhaust would take their rig out and run the piss out of it to get the exhaust nice and hot and then would stick the garden hose up the tailpipe to get matting to break up and blow out,kind of accelerating the aging process.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't know about the cherry bombs and purple hornies nowadays,but back as late as the late 70's early 80's all glasspacks I ever saw weren't terribly loud,but as they got older and the glass matting inside them would burn out and they would get louder.Some guys that wanted a louder exhaust would take their rig out and run the piss out of it to get the exhaust nice and hot and then would stick the garden hose up the tailpipe to get matting to break up and blow out,kind of accelerating the aging process.
Yep; been there, done that:D