Glove Box

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. While I had the dash apart in my '62, thought it might be a good idea to order a new glove box. The old one was an original, dirty and had seen better days. Not sure which vendor I bought this from, but for the better part of an hour, I struggled to get it to fit. I couldn't get this to fit to save my life. I removed it and saw signs where it was binding and tried to trim it. Tried again and still no good. Removed it again and compared it to the original. The repo appeared to be slightly bigger. Great. Just I need. There isn't enough room to begin with. Well, I trimmed it some more and WOW, did I butcher this glove box. I have it installed but it's not pretty at all. Kind of wedged in there. None of the screw holes line up and it looks like crap. I left it as is for now. You won't see it with the glove box door closed. I'll order another one and when I want some adventure in my life, I'll try it again. I want to get the interior finished so I can drive this car. According to the weather forecast, that might have to wait. Suppose to get 6" of wet snow in my area on Sunday. Are you kidding me???? Just a few days ago, it was 78 degrees. Some of the craziest weather I've ever seen, Carmine.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Carmine you know there's no "easy" fix on these cars. lol..... I do hear you about the glove box, and Im sure many have had the same problems.
Patience is Mans best virtue, and the glove box proves it. At one point I was about to put the glove box door on, and forget about the glove box.
But damn I hate quitting on something. Keep smiling Carmine, your stories sure make me smile. cash :D

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You would think something like cardboard, you could get to flex and bend just enough for a good fit. Nope. Not for me. I'm sure others have done this, but boy, that is a tight fit. I've been trying to install it from the bottom up. I don't think it goes in from the front. Going to check my repair and assembly manuals tomorrow to see what I can find. I put a new one in my '64 SS with factory AC and that was a treat. This one is worse, Carmine.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I've had the same problem with trying to install repo glove boxes in 61's and 2's. I've found the best way is to wad the s.o b. up, stuff it up in place and then try to straighten it out and get the screws lined up and in the hole. Usually after a bunch of cussing and other things the thing actually comes out ok.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've had the same problem with trying to install repo glove boxes in 61's and 2's. I've found the best way is to wad the s.o b. up, stuff it up in place and then try to straighten it out and get the screws lined up and in the hole. Usually after a bunch of cussing and other things the thing actually comes out ok.

Maybe that's what I have to do; wad it up. Can't get any worse then my butcher job. I did try the cussing also. Put together a string of them and I don't even know what I said or what they meant. Maybe some different ones next time LOL, Carmine.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
I don't think it goes in from the front.
It has been about 16 years since I replaced mine but after doing some searching online it confirmed my memory:
"The installation manual shows it being installed by pushing in on the sides, and inserting it into the opening. The originals had creases on the sides that assisted in this "folding" "
Not sure what specific fit issues you are having, but when you need to trim the box and holes dont line up, I begin to question the quality of the part.

Last edited:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
You made me laugh, out loud, Carmine. :doh "Put together a string of them and I don't even know what I said or what they meant". :laugh:laugh2

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It has been about 16 years since I replaced mine but after doing some searching online it confirmed my memory:
"The installation manual shows it being installed by pushing in on the sides, and inserting it into the opening. The originals had creases on the sides that assisted in this "folding" "
Not sure what specific fit issues you are having, but when you need to trim the box and holes dont line up, I begin to question the quality of the part.

It seems that the glove box is slightly too big for the hole. I compared it to the old one and it does appear bigger if just a little. No creases anyplace on the new one. It's just a very tight area to begin with. I put the glove box door on and that fit ok. The glove box is still wedged in there. Have duct tape on top of it. Looks like a jig saw puzzle. UGLY, but at least you can't see it. And before I forget, they also send little tabs with 4 prongs on them. These tabs press into predetermined holes and the prongs get bent over on the opposite side to secure them to the glove box. They are tapped for the screws that secure the liner to the frame. If they are serious about bending the prongs over, then they better increase their length by about 1/16 an inch. They don't even make it through the thickness of the glove box. Well, there you have it. I'm going to order some signal lever repair parts and also another glove box. I'm going to try it again sometime when I want to take my aggravation to a new, higher level, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I do not remember who made my new glove boxes. I have 3 of them installed they fit fine - had to fold them as I recall(they had folding areas on them) and 2 more to install. The last two came from Cars Inc.
I can fin out who made the ones I have to install yet.
Paul

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Good thing you put the duck tape on it.
Sounds like if you didn't it would have fell on the floor when you slammed the door.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm going to try it again sometime when I want to take my aggravation to a new, higher level, Carmine.

That usually requires special language skills............and occasionally high speed launched hand tools

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I found it best to have the glove box door off, and insert the box from the back. The sides of the metal dash where the box goes, have been designed to make sort of a slit for the box to be held up by and holes for the screws. If you take a little extra time and really look at the right and left sides you can see where it must slide up and into those slots. If your on the outside of the slots, your screws will not line up with the clips in the box. Use a ice pick or sharp pointed tool to line up the holes for the screws. Don't forget about your wiring for the light , it runs through a small slit in the box at the top. Hope this helps a little, it seems for me, it takes a few times to get it just right. You can do it..... and when your done, hang the old one from the wall or ceiling. lol :laugh2

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I do not remember who made my new glove boxes. I have 3 of them installed they fit fine - had to fold them as I recall(they had folding areas on them) and 2 more to install. The last two came from Cars Inc.
I can fin out who made the ones I have to install yet.
Paul

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Paul, that would be great if you could come up with a manufacturer. Then I could check with some vendors. Thanks, Carmine.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had the same problem trying to get one in my 63 I was about to throw it in the garbage. My 65 has more room and it slipped right in but overall 65's seem bigger in every aspect.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Carmine, there are two glove box choice's for 62 ,,,,,,ac equipped or non ac . I put a new glove box in my 63 by installing in the front in one corner and sliding it it.I have had to remove a couple of time's for changing speaker so it is not very hard to do. Maybe 62 is harder, don't know. Chevy talk say's to go in from front on 62 and fold in side's and insert that way.another option was pull dash like you had done.......

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Going in from the front certainly looks like the easiest way but I never considered it because I never thought it would work/fit. I definitely will take a look at this approach when I get a new one, Carmine.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
I looked at my box and the assembly manual and both support front loading. There are Y shaped fold lines on both sides of the box to allow the thicker end (the edge) to pass through the opening.
I believe I bought the box at CARS. Not sure of a vendor.
The tabs they sent are j-nuts and the prongs are not meant to be bent but simply center the nut in the hole and provide a shoulder when the screw is tightened.