GM spatter paint

Junky

Well Known Member
Nice garage... How long do you estimate before you fill it up, and outgrow it? Took me about 20 years to accumulate enough junk that I can barely get a car into the garage. I don't know if I have 20 more years to get rid of it all, but I am slowly trying. My wife says that I am not trying hard enough, and I should get a dumpster.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nice garage... How long do you estimate before you fill it up, and outgrow it? Took me about 20 years to accumulate enough junk that I can barely get a car into the garage. I don't know if I have 20 more years to get rid of it all, but I am slowly trying. My wife says that I am not trying hard enough, and I should get a dumpster.
It’s funny you should say that I had ton of crap I came over with from the other shop loaded it up and filled the place in 2 days. Luck for me our new house came with a big shed so last weekend I spent two full days moving tools, parts etc in there correct spots. I just finished framing & insulation. So right now I’m pretty clean which is a miracle. The last house I added shed & 16’ on the shop and I was still working outside all the time so I’ve learned my lesson for now anyway.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I still have things that I moved in 1967, and I just can't bring myself to throwing them away. I tell my wife that I will leave it to her next husband to clean up the mess. :D
lol I used to be that way now I’m starting to feel like space is premium, when in doubt throw away or sell. When we moved in may of 19 I threw away tons of stuff and junked. I was really thinking I’d be missing or wishing I sold more but that hasn’t happened. I’m actually happy that stuff is gone makes things a little more simpler and I haven’t had a moment where I went what did I do with.....it’s heaven :)

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Look into my build thread. I cover the process I took to create a factory correct look with Zolatone. It’s a paint that will not need any type of clear or protective top coating. I stripped the old paint out, shot with red oxide, and then Zolatone. Perfect look, hard as a rock. I’m leaving the exterior paint original, but going with a spotless trunk, engine bay, interior, and undercarriage.94ACC509-50C5-42AF-B171-F5D513905485.jpeg9FB8F147-85A1-4E3E-8C24-750EDF325E7C.jpeg0587E256-256D-4896-BC8A-C1DAF2945668.jpeg7E2F9CE3-AF22-4AAA-A58B-0E806FCF4ED8.jpeg

Last edited:

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Look into my build thread. I cover the process I took to create a factory correct look with Zolatone. It’s a paint that will not need any type of clear or protective top coating. I stripped the old paint out, shot with red oxide, and then Zolatone. Perfect look, hard as a rock. I’m leaving the exterior paint original, but going with a spotless trunk, engine bay, interior, and undercarriage.View attachment 90225View attachment 90226View attachment 90227View attachment 90228
Looks great!! Thank you

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
tcb-1
Does the paint require a special spray gun?
1.8 or 2.2 tip? Material reduced? Thanks
Dennis Bubp

Here ya go, Dennis. I found my instructions I posted on my build thread. Hope this help!

I prepped the trunk floor by degreasing the entire thing. Follow that with a wire wheel or wire brush. Degrease again. Make sure all loose paint and surface rust is prepped for paint. Spray the entire trunk with red alkyd primer. The factory dipped these cars in red primer, so make sure you get everywhere; under the package tray, the wheel well tops, the back seat brace, in the fender dropouts, etc. Then after the red primer has cured, go back with gray primer. This is where a factory appearing trunk starts to come together (use your artist vision here)! Only get the gray primer mainly where you can get to from standing outside of the trunk. I did not hit the rear seat brace, under the package tray, and above the wheel wells. Let this cure for a few days.

-Zolatone can be purchased through TCP Global or Amazon.
-Buy a cheap $19.00 Harbor Freight lplv gun, #60612. This gun will have a 2.0mm tip installed.
-Clean the gun thoroughly because it's filled with anti-rust inhibitor for that long trip from China... haha
-With the gun clean now, set the air delivery system up. I simply used a 3.5 double hotdog compressor and it worked great. Hint. I dialed the regulated pressure from the compressor in to 30-32 psi when the trigger is pulled. If you set the regulator to 30-32 psi before the trigger is pulled, the pressure when activated will drop.
-Stir the Zolatone only, do not shake. The final product will have a consistency of thin pancake batter.
-There's an air bleed on the side of the gun close to the nozzle. I found if left open, more suction from the pot will occur. In this mode, the paint will flow.
-Experiment. You want the paint to come out so that with 3 or 4 passes, the paint completely covers the surface you are experimenting on.
-Once you get the paint dialed in, go to work. Again, only get to those places you can reach outside of the trunk. Don't stretch as far back under the package tray as you can. The line painters at Fisher body wasn't going for a show finish, so a bit of overspray on the trunk hinges and trunk hinge box is perfect. I have a picture I added a few posts up, that shows a survivor '63 Impala trunk hinge box partially covered in trunk paint.