GMC super V6 emblem

doc396

Well Known Member
i know this is a chevy site, but a GMC is almost a chevy. i posted on the stovebolt site and didn't get any solid answers. ok, while at carlisle i came across a early 60's GM coach that had been turned into a motorhome. nice job too. on the rear of the bus in the middle was a V6 emblem which look like many i have seen on medium duty trucks. the difference is the word SUPER made into the chrome emblem. the bus was leaving and was running, it was a diesel with stardard trans. sounded great too. anyone know what the super V6 was?:scratch DOC

doc396

Well Known Member
thanks, i looked over that site but did not see anything on it. i took your advice and sent them my question:cheers DOC

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
GMC made a 305ci and a 351ci V6 both of which where in the Pickups. They also made a larger ci displacement V6 that I can't find right now that was manufactured for either gas or diesel. I am sure that is the engine that you are speaking of. GMC also put two of the V6's together and used a common crank shaft for a V12 version. I will try and dig up the CI displacement on the larger V6. Dan

doc396

Well Known Member
the site link dq409 left has a wealth of information on gmc V6 and V12 engines. but i could not find anything on this super V6 emblem?:dunno doc

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
doc, You weren't lucky enough to get a picture of that emblem were you? Dan

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Probably a Detroit diesel. Old Detroits sound good, especially wound up!

doc396

Well Known Member
sorry, no pics. we were there to buy parts and didn't want to carry anything we didn't need. dah:takethat next time i am carring a camera, there were lots of things i wish i would have took pictures of. doc

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
sorry, no pics. we were there to buy parts and didn't want to carry anything we didn't need. dah:takethat next time i am carring a camera, there were lots of things i wish i would have took pictures of. doc

The last time I was at a car show and cursed myself for not bringing the camera.:bang there was an engine I wanted pictures of.
Then, in the car on the way home from the show I remembered my cell phone has a camera in it.:takethat

would have been better then nothing, had I remembered to use it.:cuss

:D

doc396

Well Known Member
yea the chances of ever seeing another one is slim, unless the owner brings it back next year. i will take a few shots of it then. i will try to ask him what it stands for, hopefully a engine pic too. doc

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Probably a Detroit diesel. Old Detroits sound good, especially wound up!

doc, MRHP is correct. I talked with a good friend of mine to day that has a heavy equipment repair business. He said that he was very familiar with the Super V6 emblem and that it would be a 530 Detroit. Very common in coaches. Dan

doc396

Well Known Member
thanks tripower, i knew someone would nail it down sooner or later. i am going to keep my eye out for one, just to hang on the garage wall:cheers doc

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I did a Google on the GMC 530 Detroit coach and came up with a lot of city type busses and a few older busses that could be converted to a coach.
It does sound and look like that is what you saw.
I did find a picture of a late 50`s early 60`s buss that was what I think you saw and cool looking ! It would have made a great coach but could never get back to that page to copy the photo for you,,:doh ,,,dq

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Doc,,,, Is this close to what you saw as far as the bus ???

59 GMC,,,

Attachments

• NEWava59GMC_classic.jpg
    NEWava59GMC_classic.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 72

doc396

Well Known Member
it was a suburban bus, not a city bus. it had one door, in the front. i am trying to remember, i think it had 4 headlights. i am not up to speed on the models by number. if i come across one i will post the model number. it was the kind that would pass you going uphill through the mountains.:roll doc

doc396

Well Known Member
yes, that is the type. possible the same? i just love that old look. when i was a kid i would stay with my aunt and uncle in southern ohio. they lived on a farm on route 50, you could hear the buses coming and going for miles at night. doc