GMC twin 6's (posting pics for bj)

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
That is interesting. It looks like the cab was moved back for more room:dunno

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:dunnoRon,the most common way to swap one of these things in was to strech the front frame section,then add sheet metal to match,dont know what was done here.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yes I know they usually stretch the front. This one, the cab is nearly touching the rear fender.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1485 lbs, one crank, cool, must have been good on gas.:laugh

My Dad had a 37 Lincoln Zephyr, they had a flathead V12. In the nice coffee table book on Zephyrs they said the engine was a dog, most got replaced with the regular V8 flathead, which had about the same HP and torque. I guess this was a dog too, but a pretty neat engine to see at a car show.

Don

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
The GMC V-6 wasn't well liked back in the day anyway I can only imagine there weren't many of these sold either
Robert

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The most common use for these monsters was irrigation pumps where that would run them at about 2350 rpm for 5-6 mounths at a time,shut them down long enough to change oil,oil filter and plugs,typically would run like this for 6-8000 hours before the first overhaul,They were also used in BIG trucks and fire trucks.With a few parts from Thunder v-12,they can be turned to about 5000 rpm,and make about 750 ft.lbs of torque and about 450 hp.:eek