Going on the Dyno

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I'll see where mine peaked when I get home but a flat torque curve for sure. I think Barry is going to be close on the rpm. Mine had a pretty decent idle also-hope it will once it is in the car.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
So why would one put there engine on a dyno?
You working on internal engine stuff?
You can learn a lot on the dyno. You tune for max power...timing...jetting...carb selection...cam changes...intakes. It is not uncommon to find 20-30 hp. Knowing where the power is will tell you about launch and shift rpm. It is important that future changes are measured on the same dyno as each unit is set different. Don't get too focused on the number you achieve but rather you tune for the best number. Some (many?) engine builders set their machine for happy numbers. You can set the turbine load to produce any number you want. We run on a stingy dyno...probably runs 10% under. Tune for the best numbers...then go to the track. You are not going to change the track tune very much...only for extreme changes to the atmosphere

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree with everything Russ said. I would also add that the reason I say we don't race dynos is because what works on a dyno may not always reflect what happens in a car. An example would be plenum size. It isn't uncommon to show increases in hp as the plenum volume is increased. However that big plenum that made the most hp on the dyno sometimes will hurt your ET.

I am trying to figure out why my rings are butting. I could try tuning at the track however, if I'm off on anything for even one pass and the rings butt then there goes my nice cylinder walls. On the dyno we will be able to catch a potential problem before any damage is done.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can learn a lot on the dyno. You tune for max power...timing...jetting...carb selection...cam changes...intakes. It is not uncommon to find 20-30 hp. Knowing where the power is will tell you about launch and shift rpm. It is important that future changes are measured on the same dyno as each unit is set different. Don't get too focused on the number you achieve but rather you tune for the best number. Some (many?) engine builders set their machine for happy numbers. You can set the turbine load to produce any number you want. We run on a stingy dyno...probably runs 10% under. Tune for the best numbers...then go to the track. You are not going to change the track tune very much...only for extreme changes to the atmosphere
Your dead on about Dyno operators. I use to tell people that. I only have ran dyno's on Harleys, however I could skew the numbers if I wanted to.