Going price for a 348 block?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
A friend is thinking of building a 348 for his early 60s truck he put a SB and a Muncie in. I have heads, exhaust manifolds and tripower we'll swap for, some '09 rods and an extra 09 crank what does a good block go for?

mailman

Well Known Member
I bought one year before last for 75 bucks. Block, crank, oil pan and front cover. Just got lucky on finding that one.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The later blocks are worth more. Don't get into the early truck blocks. Bare block with caps, $100-$150. I used to see a few around the swaps here, but not much anymore. I think the mag article on the 348 big cube build got them all scooped up.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
^ This. Too many people know that you can build the 348 into a street terror now. Even had a guy reference that article when I was looking at his 348 block he had for sale. "These things can make 600hp I read..." Great, there goes the GOOD deal haha

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
There should still be a few late truck 348s around at reasonable prices, and that is really a good block. You just have to look in strange places for them! Some of them were passed over when it was discovered that they were not 409s...

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't know if it has changed but at the swap meets here in Calif you can't give a 348 away, or you do have to give it away to get rid of it. The only guys that are usually interested in 348's are the lowlows, and they are cheap skates. The last one I got for free about 10 years ago I gave it to the scrap man when I moved 2 years ago.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I don't know if it has changed but at the swap meets here in Calif you can't give a 348 away, or you do have to give it away to get rid of it. The only guys that are usually interested in 348's are the lowlows, and they are cheap skates. The last one I got for free about 10 years ago I gave it to the scrap man when I moved 2 years ago.

If you find any more mike let me know and i would buy them, like rocking horse sh1t here in New Zealand:deal

Steve

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think the highest I just read in this thread was $400. If anyone in the Southeast has a good block they want to sell in that price range, I'm interested. I haven't seen a 348 for sale in my area for quite awhile without the rest of the car (and a large price tag) to go along with it.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
About 4 yrs. ago, I bought a '61 348 motor without the carb., exhaust manifolds, distr. and water pump. Paid $700.00. From what I'm reading, maybe I overpaid. Had it machined and turned it into a 434 stroker.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If I could just come up with a buildable block, I am sure I could come up with the rest. I actually have a std bore rotating assembly for a 409 with a fresh crank, original forged 11:1 pistons (with a few spares) and a set of rods. The only block I have is a 348 truck block that was bored to standard 409 bore size. The man I bought it all from (about 10 years ago) said it passed sonic check after the overbore. Everyone on here said there is no way that could be correct or that it will live so I never put it together. Sometimes I think I should just do a half fill with some block filler and throw it together and let it rip for as long as it lasts. LOL

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
427, 4.312 - 4.125 = .187....... So, yes, someone would have to be crazy to try that. I am crazy. How much for the block? I would never bore a 348 to that size but its already done. I would build it just to see if it is possible. Logic says , No, but I don't always agree with logic. If the block is cheap enough, I will take a shot. A huge gamble , but things are sorta boring right now so why not?

poison ivy

Well Known Member
348 builder engines about, 800,348 blocks can cost about 350 to 450 might need sleeve, as many freeze around here. i have bored 348 truck block, jahns slugs, .125 over-bore thats still alive and well.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a friend that bored a 814 block to 4.250 (0.125 over-bore) twenty years ago and its still alive.