Going to 3.08's

425/409ER

Well Known Member
After driving the 63 this past weekend with the 3.55's I realized they suck on the Hwy. So, I scored 2 3.08 open carriers at the swap meet last weekend for a song. How many of you guys have switched to 3.08's with a 27" tire and what was your RPM's on the freeway at 60 to 65?.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
One of my Pontiac buddies with a 455 has gone high 10s with 3.08s! Pontiac and Ws are torque motors and can do OK with it.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I think I'm turning under 2300 rpm at 65 with a 700R4 and converter locked, 3.08 rear and approximately a 27" tire.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Got the pumpkin all cleaned up today but the 100° heat kind of got in the way, guess I will have to wait for a little cooler WX to finish this up.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My '62 came with a 3.70 posi gear and 4 speed. I swapped out the '68 327 engine and installed a '63 409. Those 3.70 didn't last long. I didn't like them at all. Even for normal, casual driving, the motor ran too high in rpm's. I had a 3.36 rear from my '57 Chevy and installed them. Just love that ratio. An all around perfect ratio for me and my driving. I cruise around 45-50 mph at about 2200 rpm's. Engine runs at about 180-185 temp. all day long. Very seldom go on the interstates. My '71 GTO has a stock 3.55 gear with TH400 trans. I like that ratio for that particular car. It makes things come alive a little bit better, but this car does see some interstate travelling at times, although I try to limit it, and you can hear and feel the motor working at about 2800-3000 rpm's. I'm not totally happy about that, but it's a trade off for me. Engine will run warmer at those rpm's. I drive this car like I do my '62 for the most part. I like 45 mph but will go to 50 if someone gets behind me. I'm never in any rush. Guess it comes down to, what your intentions are with the car, Carmine.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I had a 62 327/250, 4-speed Impala with a 3.08 rear and G70-14 tires (about 27 inches tall). At 70 mph the tach was about 2700 rpm. Top end was not a problem with that ratio, but it was a little doggy out of the hole.
Swapping to 4.11's improved the launch, but at the cost of a front driveshaft, spider gears, center support and an axle. The biggest effect was on my wallet, so the 3.08 went back in. Dang, what I'd give to be young and stupid....again!

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I had a 62 327/250, 4-speed Impala with a 3.08 rear and G70-14 tires (about 27 inches tall). At 70 mph the tach was about 2700 rpm. Top end was not a problem with that ratio, but it was a little doggy out of the hole.
Swapping to 4.11's improved the launch, but at the cost of a front driveshaft, spider gears, center support and an axle. The biggest effect was on my wallet, so the 3.08 went back in. Dang, what I'd give to be young and stupid....again!

Did the same thing in the 70's broke everything except the 4.11 ring and pinion. I was always broke from fixing muncies and hanger bearings. One time I busted the 4 speed so bad the car got stuck in 2 gears on the street and the cop wanted to tow the car, even pushing in the clutch did not help. Had to have it towed home, switch the 4 speed out AGAIN. Thank God for automatics, much easier on the wallet.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I think I'm turning under 2300 rpm at 65 with a 700R4 and converter locked, 3.08 rear and approximately a 27" tire.
Correction, I'm turning 2000 rpm at 70. Just checked this Friday. I was very easy on the throttle for two trips back and forth to work. I was trying to get as good of gas mileage as I could with the 700R4. I kept the torque converter locked up as much as possible. I hit 16 mpg. I'm a happy camper. And with the low first gear, I can light'em up no problem, I couldn't do that with the tired powerslide I had in it before.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Correction, I'm turning 2000 rpm at 70. Just checked this Friday. I was very easy on the throttle for two trips back and forth to work. I was trying to get as good of gas mileage as I could with the 700R4. I kept the torque converter locked up as much as possible. I hit 16 mpg. I'm a happy camper. And with the low first gear, I can light'em up no problem, I couldn't do that with the tired powerslide I had in it before.
How are you locking the convertor? Did you use a factory vacuum switch to shut it off under load/low vacuum?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I started out using a vacuum switch and added a dash switch. I haven't been able to get the vacuum switch adjusted properly. So I added a switch, the kit I bought as an extra terminal for the switch. I did run the power through a brake switch that has an extra set of contacts that are normally closed until you hit the brakes. The switch lights up when turned on.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here's a photo of the TCI vacuum switch I'm using. Its supposed to be adjustable, but my vacuum may be too low?

Attachments

• 890-CMP3766B.jpg
    890-CMP3766B.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 5

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Now I know what not to buy!Your vacuum must be hooked up ported and I doubt that a dual quad 409 that gets 16 mpg has anything like low vacuum issues.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Now I know what not to buy!Your vacuum must be hooked up ported and I doubt that a dual quad 409 that gets 16 mpg has anything like low vacuum issues.
I've tried ported and manifold vacuum with the exact same result, constant in and out at cruise speed. I guess I'll have to take a vacuum reading at cruise speed. I will also pick up One of the VX3 Switches and try that. Thanks Don and 425/409ER!