Gone High Tech!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A little bit of extra knowledge banging around in your head (even if you can't use it) may help someone else. That is why facts based on specific Empirical evidence created by someone and shared with the rest of us gives us all the correct information so we don't mess up what we work so hard for. I tried to tune my Wagon at Tri-State drag way "by the book". I only had a few minutes before the car had to run down the 1/4 mile and my tune was off. Nate and my Dad stepped in and tuned the car by ear and she ran great. I have yet to change what they did because once I got home I found that my knowledge had slipped and I was doing it wrong. Anyway, soak it up! :read

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just a little bit of sarcasm on Petey’s part.......No I do enjoy learning new things from people as knowledgeable as yourself ......:even though I know I will probably never have a 1/4 mile car at that level.....or just finished...... it’s still nice to know how people professionally tune a race car.....: I was genuinely interested .......Thanks for the lesson professor......I’m listening
I know Petey. Keep asking. I like explaining and helping people make there cars faster.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I assume you are not allowed to use this in competition. :dunno2
Usually it is not a problem as it can't make any adjustments to the car, only give info after the fact. Some of the programmable ignition boxes like an MSD Grid are not allowed though as they can be rigged to make adjustments on the fly by adjusting the slew rate so if the air gets better, the timing will adjust or rev limiter will kick in to keep the et the same.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You get the input RPM with a magnet in the input shaft and a pickup in the collar. I think
How did you get input shaft RPM?
The most popular way is to drill the input and install a magnet and weld a bung into the bearing retainer for the sensor. I don't have room for that in my bell housing. Others have put a collar with a magnet on the counter shaft or something like that. I have a Cummins proximity sensor that counts the teeth on fourth gear. That requires a little box for the data logger that converts that signal to something the logger can use. The software then does some math to give the correct reading. I just had the case spot faced and tapped for the sender.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The most popular way is to drill the input and install a magnet and weld a bung into the bearing retainer for the sensor. I don't have room for that in my bell housing. Others have put a collar with a magnet on the counter shaft or something like that. I have a Cummins proximity sensor that counts the teeth on fourth gear. That requires a little box for the data logger that converts that signal to something the logger can use. The software then does some math to give the correct reading. I just had the case spot faced and tapped for the sender.
Qualifies as high tech by my standards. As I’ve always said, you can go as fast as your wallet will take you. Knowing what to do with all this information you can now get and then doing it on a 1/4 mile track is very impressive.