good bye

floyd

Well Known Member
Right now my saginaw is working fine.Trying to run the my6 set-up,for gas mileage.Who knows may improve my top end to keep up with the new cars?

floyd

Well Known Member
I dont own a 348 or 409.I do have a 1973 454,1984 366t.Someday I might put the 366t in my 81 chevy 4x4.When I was a teenager my nabor next door had a 66 impala ss convertible with a 409.Pretty bad ass car,except it was red.

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Hey Floyd ! What is the part # on the Saginaw your running? I have one , been on the shelf for awhile. Maybe a diamond in the ruff. $$$$;)

floyd

Well Known Member
I dont know the part #.All I know is its a 4 speed,with a itm shifter.If I remember,Ill look for the number for you.These saginaws were used in many different chevys and years.

floyd

Well Known Member
What did it come out of?I really like the saginaw.When I bought my nova,the original saginaw had bad sinks in it,would grind alittle in every gear.All of the old timers over hear told me to leave it.They are stronger than any other tranny out there.They ran saginaws behind the bigblocks,blew apart the others,stock or not.They told me the cast iron ones are the best.

Junky

Well Known Member
Did they make an aluminum case Saginaw??? I have never seen one.

Nope.. always cast iron...

Saginaw 4-speed 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
No lines (grooves) 2.84 2.01 1.35 1.00
1 Line (groove ) 2.54 1.80 1.44 1.00
2 Lines (grooves) 3.11 2.20 1.47 1.00
3 Lines (grooves) 3.50 2.47 1.65 1.00

easy to tell what you have by the grooves on the input shaft

wristpin

Well Known Member
If i score the '57 Bel Aire delivery I'm thinking a 4 speed would be worthy above an automatic. Until i have the car in my possession it's all smoke.