Good News, Bad News

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Wully Bully racing team had its last outing of the year today, at Cecil County Dragway, in Rising Sun, MD. It is a good track, basically at sea level. The air was cool, the skies cloudy. I ran new all time best E.T. and MPH numbers, with decent 60' times, Carl also had a new best E.T. Carl ran a 10.08 at 127, which is off by about 7 mph. The reason for the loss of speed was a failure of apparently the number 8 connecting rod, which caused severe damage to the head. :cry We are unsure of the extent of damage, but are in need of a good 690 or 583 head, if anybody has one they can spare. The rest of the story on the sedan, a 1.461 60', a best E.T. of 10.324, and best speed of 130.04, also ran 10.325, and 10.350 during the course of the day. :) For those who don't remember, the sedan is a stock bodied 1962 Bel-Air, with factory frame and suspension. We are running 690 heads, factory intake, two Edelbrocks, through a stick to the Dana rear, with 4.88 gears. I launch at 4800, shift at 6800, hit the traps at 6900-7000. The car weighs 3731 with me in it, and runs on 30x10.5 Good Years.
Steven
P.S., Allen George, Ray Lehberger, and Denny Ford were also there, all running some quick times.

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Steven

I can get that head welded,Does not matter if comp. chamber is gone.

If I had a digit camera I would show you a picture of one I had done.

Dale

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
CDNpontiac409guy said:
Aw man, Steven, that's a drag :( . doesn't it always seem that they run hardest, just before they let go :? :doh

O GALD,,,, DON`T SAY THAT !!! :eek:

Obnxs1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
better knock on wood, dq. or at least that big ol' mellon of yours. :D

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
head repair

Dale,
I don't think the head can be saved. When the piston hit the head after the rod broke, the exhaust valve was apparently wide open. The impact caused the rocker arm stud boss to break clean off the head, at it's base, right into the water jacket. The head might be salvagable for a low lift cam in a street engine, but for racing it is no good. Thanks anyway.
Steven