Good race, bad race

Travis Horton

Well Known Member
Great day for the AHRA Reunion race. First pass was a 1.542 60', 6.911 eighth mile et, and 10.929 at 121.58! Second pass was 1.537 60', 6.903 eighth, and 10.932 at 121.39. Third was 1.554 60', 6.929 eighth, and 10.957 at 121.55. Then came the bad. First round was called and I waited patiently. Phil and Candy walked up and said "Hi". My turn comes to race and we pull into the bleach box. They shut us off and back us up because of some technical difficulty. They signal us to fire up again and I got nuthin'. My good ol' WalMart battery quit. So I was towed back to the trailer. I charged it back up and made a time run. 1.556 60', 6.923 eighth, and 10.936 at 121.85. Not bad for a 380hp 409!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Wow nice going! :beerbang I was impressed when you went low 11's but 10's are even better. Tony Shaffer sure knows how to build these engines but you must also have that thing working well to be getting those times. :cheers

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
WOOO HOOO !!!!

Man we got some fast cars on our site !!!!!

Now,,, we just need to get them together again without the rain :cry

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Travis
Looking good, before winter sets in, you will be at 10.800. :clap
May have to come back to KC and and promote a heads up race.
Allen
Blue Screamer

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Race Pictures!!!!

We got to the track around 2PM as Travis was in the staging lanes. I was right next to the "bleach box" when he was supposed to do his burnout....I wanted a picture to post here. Bad news....the ole battery gave out. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of Travis. The 60 Biscayne was really a neat car. Had a 406 small block in it. It was a sharp looking car!!!!

Attachments

• travishorton1.jpg
    travishorton1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 87
  • travishorton2.jpg
    travishorton2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 95
  • neat60biscayne lean allen Monette.jpg
    neat60biscayne lean allen Monette.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 85

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
more race car pictures

Was walking thru the pits and I just about fell over!!

Here is this black 56 Buick Special sitting there!! Now, I got my driver's license in my step-father's 55 Buick Road Master. I spent most of my high school years looking thru JC Whitney and Warshawsky catalogs. I was a slow reader but trust me....there weren't any speed parts available back then. You couldn't eeven get dual exhaust for them. So I bought a used cross-over pipe in a salvage yard and cut it off about 12" from the flanges. When I took the old Buick racxing, I would unbolt the stock cross over pipe and, using a coat hanger, wire it up out of the way. Then I would bolt my shorty zoomie pipes up and go racing!!! :roll :roll Now here sets a car with deep dish chrome rims and 2 four barrell carbs!!!! :D :D :D

Oh be still ....my heart!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 56buickspecial1.jpg
    56buickspecial1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 56buickspecial2.jpg
    56buickspecial2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 71

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
one more race picture!!!

We headed out for home on Sunday from Pittsburg on the Harleys.....were just cruisin' along minding our own business............when all of a sudden, I SLAM on the brakes...stop my wife in the middle of the highway!! I said ...DID YOU SEE THAT???? She said NO so I said "follow me"!! We turned around and pulled in.....HAD TO TAKE A PICTURE.

Now...as you look at the picture.........DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!! I just took the picture...I didn't make the sign up!!!!~!! Only look at this with your wife if she has a sense of humor!!!! This is on US Highway 59 just south of Moran, Kansas. Now, Travis Horton has a liquor store in Parsons.......not too far south of Moran. Wonder if he wants to start selling night crawlers and crawdads!!!!!!!!!!!! : :roll :roll

Mature audiences only. You'll notice.....I haven't made any comments about the sign!!!!!

Attachments

• baitshopsign2.jpg
    baitshopsign2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 144

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Travis – WOW!!!! Those are some great times out of a 380hp 409. The new rear end must be working out great for you. I would love to know what a pass in the high 10s feels like – maybe someday. I really wish that I could have made it down for the day. All the guys around here that have one of Tony’s engines call’em Tony Shaffer specials. The roundy roundy guys love the engines that he builds. I really enjoyed meeting you and visiting with Floyd and Marilyn at the convention. On Oct 23rd is that last VAMP heads up race of the year – I would love to have you come up and race if you can. Tripower are you free on the 23rd???

TomO