Gotta be a lot of dead fish tonight!!!!!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
At one time I had a little pond that is now the site of my manshed. It was teeny but large enough to make it on the city map as a blue spot. It was a cattle watering hole for what was the farm that my acreage used to be a part of. I purchased the old century house (that was storing hay) and 11.25 acres and the pond came with it. I got a D9 Cat for a few days, cut the berm to drain it and then dug it out a bit. After it filled back up I stocked it with some bass and catfish. Twenty years later the road in front of me was being widened, and the City took half an acre off the front of my tract. They had a lot of extra fill to haul off, so I made a deal where they could park their machinery on my property if they filled the pond in. They basically pushed yards and yards of clay into the pond, sealing the fate of Sam (the big flathead) and his brethren.

Fast forward ten years and now the Manshed resides on that very spot. It's the only building of the 28 on the site that has a walkout basement on top of which I built the upper Manshed. All on top of Sam and a bunch of catfish and bass :).

Phil yours looks a bit bigger than what I once had, but here's your chance to dredge that site and put back a correct pond on your property. A few hundred fingerling bass and you're back in business :) :) :).

Cheers! TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
20190620_201534.jpg
7 1/2 hours later we are pretty much done. I had some large bass that died when I tried to pump it dry. Catfish also.
Have a friend at church who is going to help me place "stuff" around the bottom next summer to create breeding spaces. Hope to have the pond ready for 2021.
Glad it's finally drained....been stewing about this for at least 4 years.
It's probably 4-5 foot deep in the middle. Pond guy said it was probably 12 foot deep when it was dug.
Gotta start saving my money!!!!!!!!

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
At one time I had a little pond that is now the site of my manshed. It was teeny but large enough to make it on the city map as a blue spot. It was a cattle watering hole for what was the farm that my acreage used to be a part of. I purchased the old century house (that was storing hay) and 11.25 acres and the pond came with it. I got a D9 Cat for a few days, cut the berm to drain it and then dug it out a bit. After it filled back up I stocked it with some bass and catfish. Twenty years later the road in front of me was being widened, and the City took half an acre off the front of my tract. They had a lot of extra fill to haul off, so I made a deal where they could park their machinery on my property if they filled the pond in. They basically pushed yards and yards of clay into the pond, sealing the fate of Sam (the big flathead) and his brethren.

Fast forward ten years and now the Manshed resides on that very spot. It's the only building of the 28 on the site that has a walkout basement on top of which I built the upper Manshed. All on top of Sam and a bunch of catfish and bass :).

Phil yours looks a bit bigger than what I once had, but here's your chance to dredge that site and put back a correct pond on your property. A few hundred fingerling bass and you're back in business :) :) :).

Cheers! TomK
RIP SAM :hug

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So even with evaporation you have enough rainfall to keep that filled? You must get a lot of rain.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Around here 8 acres of runoff can form a pond as big as one acre (about the size of a football field).
My pond guy says you need 15 acres of runoff to sustain a 1 acre pond. I measured mine and believe it to be an acre. I do not have that much rain off. Our lot runs east to west and I have a lot of runoff from north to south on the back side of my property.
I've come up with the idea of putting a large catch basin in the low point in the back yard, install a 2 or 3 inch trash pump and run a 2 inch line to the pond. Believe it would work. It will probably take 2-4 years to get the back up to speed. I can't stand to have a pond that is not a "good" pond!!!!