Grafting Two X Frames Together

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
So Jim now you’ll sleeve the inside dimensions..... to act as a coupler of sorts between the 2 halves....???
I was going to use plates inside the frame. Now seeing the existing inner plates, I'm not sure how I will proceed. I could cut out those inner reinforcements and use the internal plates like I was going to do or use external plates. I'll kick it around and decide on Saturday. I'm leaning toward internal plates, but we'll see.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Internal plates would be a good insurance. You could drill holes in frame both frame sections ,weld in plate on one section slide together and plug weld the holes on the other section ,smooth out the welds. Just my .02 cents

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 2 holes for the rear lower control arms on a 58 chassis where for the difference between station wagon and sedan (per assemble manual) upper hole for sedan and lower hole for wagons I believe because of the difference in rear spring length and tension
don,t know when it changed but in the 62 assembly manual it only shows the 1 hole with no note of sedan or wagon
Hope this helps