Grafting Two X Frames Together

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Used internal plates, plug welds, root and cap pass on the seams. All measurements are right on and all of the posts are firmly planted on the ground, except the two posts on the trans crossmember mounts. For some reason they were off the ground before and after welding. Don't know which frame was bowed in the middle, but I dont think it will be an issue. The second pass on the welds is a little proud, but I don't think I'll grind them down, don't want to loose any strength. Not that it would be a problem. Now to weld the cross member back in.IMG_20200826_133732.jpgIMG_20200826_133713.jpg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Nice work Jim........Root and cap....... Just as it sounds...... a first and second weld......???? Forgive me .......You removed the inner support .....obviously to plate it.........????

Used internal plates, plug welds, root and cap pass on the seams. All measurements are right on and all of the posts are firmly planted on the ground, except the two posts on the trans crossmember mounts. For some reason they were off the ground before and after welding. Don't know which frame was bowed in the middle, but I dont think it will be an issue. The second pass on the welds is a little proud, but I don't think I'll grind them down, don't want to loose any strength. Not that it would be a problem. Now to weld the cross member back in.View attachment 85838View attachment 85839

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Nice work Jim........Root and cap....... Just as it sounds...... a first and second weld......???? Forgive me .......You removed the inner support .....obviously to plate it.........????
Keith, the root and cap are welder terms(not that I'm a welder, I just watch too many YouTube videos.:D) basically meaning a weld over a weld. And yes, I removed the two inner supports so that I could use plates. From what I can figure, those inner supports were added to keep the box frame rails equal sizes so the front and rear rails could be joined properly. I am not even sure how the two sections were originally joined, looks like some type of induction or swage weld(if that's even a real weld type). Certainly not a stick, mig or tig weld.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks good Jim ,dont know why it wouldnt work!!! Only other thing i would do is smooth out the welds, but maybe i am too picky.:D
I'll probably just smooth out the plug welds and leave the seam welds as is. Once the crossmember is welded in, frames painted and the body back on, it shouldn't be too noticeable. I'll be adding more reinforcements on different parts of the frame, so it won't need to look factory.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Used internal plates, plug welds, root and cap pass on the seams. All measurements are right on and all of the posts are firmly planted on the ground, except the two posts on the trans crossmember mounts. For some reason they were off the ground before and after welding. Don't know which frame was bowed in the middle, but I dont think it will be an issue. The second pass on the welds is a little proud, but I don't think I'll grind them down, don't want to loose any strength. Not that it would be a problem. Now to weld the cross member back in.View attachment 85838View attachment 85839
Just thinking out loud ....... and in type........ I would think that the frame would be lower at that point instead of higher ......gravity works the other way...... weird......(Like I said....... I would think........scary!!!)