Grafting Two X Frames Together

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Now that I picked the Dennis's old frame, I'll be removing the bad rear half and replaxing it with the rear half of a frame that I already had
My frame has a good rest section and a bad front section. These two frames were destined to meet. Just have to get one into the shop and make up a bunch of stantions to support the frame and level it
Take lots of measurements and decide where to cut and splice the frames. IMG_20200726_141008.jpgIMG_20200726_140739.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
About the frames I have on hand, the box frame from Dennis has the frame bracket for an automatic. The box frame I have does not have any brackets for an automatic trans linkage or a Z-bar. Does that mean it was from a car with an automatic with a floor shifter? First is the frame from Dennis then my frame.IMG_20200726_153136.jpgIMG_20200726_153120.jpgIMG_20200726_153011.jpgIMG_20200726_153024.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Next, both box frames have one mounting hole for the front of the rear lower control arm. The open frame I have has two mounting holes. Box frame.IMG_20200726_152330.jpg
Open frame.IMG_20200726_152239.jpg
Just curious why the difference. Is it a year thing or a difference in who manufactured the frames thing?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'd want the 2 hole for performance use.If this frame is to be used in high performance,especially a stick car,you need to beef up those brackets,ask Dave.
If the frame turns out ok, it will most likely end up under the 62. Which will have a stick in it. So I will treat it to some reinforcing, not that I plan on doing any racing. But who knows.:D

Last edited:

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
I would think this wouldn't be much harder than a back half project. You just have the advantage of being able to use the body mounting holes as a jig of sorts. The repair manual goes into detail on critical dimensions of the frame.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
A few years ago a car show, can't remember the show name did a 62 if I recall right, and they beefed up the frame in the x area . They welded a plate over the top , maybe more, as I said it's been a few years ago.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That sounds like "Musclecar" show. They sure added some plating on the frame. May have been a little overkill, but more is better until the weight starts to add up. I'll be added some extra bracing in some known weak spots. I'll be posting as I go along, looking for feedback too, on where to add on to the "unknown to me" spots.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
After replacing the front and rear brakes and rotors on my truck, it was time to back my frame into the garage. I'll get this one all set up on posts at numerous locations. Then level it and make my cut, leaving the good rear section in the garage. I'll haul out the bad front part and then in with the second frame to be cut.
Actually wasn't too hard lifting the frame off of my small trailer. Used my cherry picker.IMG_20200812_144709.jpgIMG_20200812_144730.jpgIMG_20200812_144933.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It's cooler here Bob, only about 1900 degrees, but the humidity is terrible. The garage is in the shade, so it's a little cooler yet. I'm pretty sure I know where I will make my cuts in the frame rails. Right at some kind of a factory seam at the rear control cross member. I'm going to make a template to drill locating holes on either side of the joint and drill a few plug weld holes for some inner strengthening plates.

Last edited:

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Next, both box frames have one mounting hole for the front of the rear lower control arm. The open frame I have has two mounting holes. Box frame.View attachment 84603
Open frame.View attachment 84604
Just curious why the difference. Is it a year thing or a difference in who manufactured the frames thing?

There were 3 suppliers of frames A.O. Smith supplied the open C channel frames, Budd supplied the two piece welded non-C-channel frame, Chevrolet mad the one piece tubular frames. No real ryhme or reason as to which cars got which frames. More or less just whatever stack was next.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Last day of my vacation, Mike stopped by and we cut the first frame. Saving the rear section from this one. Then out with the old and in with the other old frame. We're setting the frames on adjustable posts that leveled the first frame. Removed the first crossmember than marked and cut the frame at an existing joint. Inside were inserts on both side of the joints. IMG_20200818_131050.jpgIMG_20200818_131113.jpgIMG_20200818_132619.jpgIMG_20200818_132643.jpg