Great way to remove mill scale!

bobs409

Administrator
I have to pass this one along. To anyone that tig welds, you know that the metal has to be very clean. That means removing all the mill scale which can be stubborn!

I was watching a video last night and the guy mentioned how he removes mill scale so I tried it today and WOW!!!

Simply get one of those nylon fiber wheels for your angle grinder. Like this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-nylon-abrasive-wheel-94017.html

Unlike flap wheels that tend to glaze over from mill scale, this type wheel keeps going. Quickly and easily removes the scale. I'm going to keep one grinder for just this task from now on ready to go!

They do sell smaller ones for a drill but I haven't tested those yet. Try it, then come back and thank me! :laugh4

bobs409

Administrator
I tried the small ones for a drill and it too works fast on that mill scale! You could clean a whole sheet of steel in no time flat with the larger one on an angle grinder. :wax

Junky

Well Known Member
NEWS FLASH..........Bob's Discount Used Harbor Freight Store opens in Northeast PA, featuring gently used all Harbor Freight items. Opening day was a mad house, with almost everything sold to the bare walls. New shipments of used Harbor Freight discontinued and broken Harbor Freight tools are being rushed to Bob's overnight to re-fill the store for more great bargains tomorrow. Opening day featured 50% discount coupons, and a free broken flashlight with dead batteries. Tomorrows free gift will be small magnetic bowls with the magnets missing due to inferior glue holding the 2 components together.
When you stop in, ask for Mr. Tig, and tell him that Junky sent you....

Last edited:

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
NEWS FLASH..........Bob's Discount Used Harbor Freight Store opens in Northeast PA, featuring gently used all Harbor Freight items. Opening day was a mad house, with almost everything sold to the bare walls. New shipments of used Harbor Freight discontinued and broken Harbor Freight tools are being rushed to Bob's overnight to re-fill the store for more great bargains tomorrow. Opening day featured 50% discount coupons, and a free broken flashlight with dead batteries. Tomorrows free gift will be small magnetic bowls with the magnets missing due to inferior glue holding the 2 components together.
When you stop in, ask for Mr. Tig, and tell him that Junky sent you....

And all those Harbor Freight items sold at Bob's Discount Used Harbor Freight Store was purchased by Bob himself.

bobs409

Administrator
Got another one for removing mill scale. I've been using Prep-n-etch for removing rust from metal parts for years now. It's phosphoric acid and sold for etching concrete. I get it at Home Depot for under $16 a gallon and mix it 50/50 with water. Eats rust like nobody's business and lasts a very long time!

I decided to test it on new steel to see what it would do to mill scale. Success! It annihilated it! :D I mean't to take the pieces out sooner but forgot them and left them in about 4 hours. The mill scale or what was left of it just wiped right off with a paper towel! I'll be using this method for steel that has stubborn mill scale. That's usually sheet or plate it seems. Pieces like angle iron, rounds or tube seem to clean off easily with the wheel I mentioned above.

Well, that concludes my experiment. Now go attack some mill scale!!! :mad4