Grey painted 583 head deck QUESTION

Mark Steele

Well Known Member
I'm selling a new 583 409 head for Red Williams widow72258907_2124797967826502_1422207200922697728_o.jpg. It's never been installed on an engine. QUESTION: Why would anyone paint a head deck grey? It also was painted Chevy Orange in the appropriate places. It's crossed my mind that maybe it was used for factory or dealer display. What are your ideas? Thanks, Mark.

Mark Steele

Well Known Member
Ok, you mentioned Harley motors having some red paint on the inside surface of the castings- - - - -fifty years ago I worked for a company that made their own brand of automatic washing machines. They had a large gray iron transmission about the size of a brake drum. We used to paint the iron castings housings with a red paint - - - to keep the oil from weeping through the iron casting.

I couldn't remember the name. Pretty sure that is what they used on the inside of Harley motors years ago. The last one I seen was in 1985,

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Isn’t the paint used on the inside of engines for oil drain back called Glyptal......?????Not sure on the spelling