Grey painted 583 head deck QUESTION

bobs409

Administrator
POR silver is the WORST!!!! Do NOT use it on anything!!! Actually, I'm not a big fan of any of their products anymore. The term "snake oil" comes to mind when I think of this stuff...

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
They are a different company, now.:doh They used to be called Restomotive. Now, they're something else.:thumbdown

Pats 409

Well Known Member
You can still buy Glyptal it was made by General Electric for use as electric motor winding paint, it is expensive about 50 a quart. Use on engines is to promote oil drain back and keeping any casting particles/sand from coming off of block/head surfaces which I think would be rare. A lot of industrial engines were coated inside from the factory.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I painted a set of Harley cases years back with red oxide rust-oleum, Harley motors are dry sump and have very little room in the crankcase for excess oil (Big HP Loss). The oil has to get to the bottom of the crankcase quick to be picked up by the wheels where it is scraped off into a oil return troff and is pumped back to the tank. As far as that head I think someone painted it for oil drain back, or display, I lean more towards oil drain back.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Looks like Glyptal is still available in red, gray and black. I've always used the red, but that gray might look nice as well.