Grumpy Jenkins At the 68 Nationals

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Probably been seen by many of you. Wasn't there something about how crappy fram filters were on the site lately? Note at about 5 minutes in what he says.

Then seeing him smoking that cigar and rowing that long handled shifter is great history. Good stuff for me. Born too late.................:burnout

El Rat

Well Known Member
Note: I had a 30 second conversation with grumpy. I was 18 and my buddy and I flat towed my 56 to the AHRA winters in Scottsdale. After each qualifying pass I killed the motor in the lights and coasted to the turn off. I would pull a plug and take a look (like I knew what I was looking for) well low and behold there was the legendary Grump. So I walks up to him and handed him my plug. He stared for a minute and handed it back...never looking up he says 2 degree too much timing!
He had the Black arrow Plymouth at the turnoff with the hood up!
12CA0CF7-5400-46E3-B782-27F61374B9CD.jpeg

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
One Winternationals,about 20 years ago, Mitch Akers and I were working on adjusting valves on my P/SA 283 66 Chevy,between qualifying sessions. Two people walked up behind us and stood there for second, one short, one tall. Surprise,suprise, it was Doug Marion and Grumpy Jenkins. I instantly forgot all about adjusting valves, Doug introduced us to a man who needs no introductions, and we all talked for ten minutes or so. We just had met one of the greatest geniuses alive, the smartest man on earth in our estimation, and I had to hand it to Doug for that one. Best way to blow the socks off two racers by bringing Bill Jenkins along for a chat. I thought later that between Bill,Doug, Mitch and myself, how much 409 experience was standing there in one place in time and eternity. The pits at Pomona seemed to be a very appropriate place for that kind of encounter.