Guages- amp meter or volt meter?

Randy Maurstad

Well Known Member
wanted to put some under the glove box guages in.. oil pressure, water temp...but didnt know which way to go amp or volt meter....i want to know if my system is charging.... any advice?... also.... any thoughts on electric or mechanical water temp?

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Randy Maurstad said:
wanted to put some under the glove box guages in.. oil pressure, water temp...but didnt know which way to go amp or volt meter....i want to know if my system is charging.... any advice?... also.... any thoughts on electric or mechanical water temp?

Go for the volt meter. Dependible and you don`t has a high amp wire that could melt down your harness like the amp guage needs.
Electrical water temp works just dandy although I`m using the machanical. Either way I guess. ,,dq

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Volt meter is way easier to install, amps give better idication of the state of your charging system but if you do not know what you are doing you can have a meltdown of your system if you hook it up wrong. Mechanical everything is my choice, I like the direct approach. Quality electric gauges are ok I guess.

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
JMHO, go with electric gages. I have had a mechanical water gage malfunction and overheat the copper wire from the sender to the gage, thus causing smoke to come out of other wires:doh , and I have the interesting experience of a mechanical oil pressure gage line developing a leak and spraying my leg and the interior with hot oil:cry

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you go with a mechanical oil guage (only way to go) I recommend using the copper line and throwing that plastic junk in the trash !!
If you install it with care the copper line will last a life time.
Make sure you route it where it will not rub on anything and use a rubber grommit through the firewall,, dq