Guru advice opinions needed for 496

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey all,

Pulled the 467 out of the 58 Impala build for some firewall work. Of course I've decided to make some changes to the motor...which has zero miles on it. I really want to stroke it to 496...it's out, so what the hell. The heads are being flowed right now, but they made 568hp and 588TQ on the 467 with a 232/.565 flat tappet hydraulic Isky. I am going with a roller from Chris Straub and stroking it. Im guessing I will make 650+ N/A. I'm planning on a 150 shot on top of that just for fun. I'm planning on going from hyper pistons to forged and the stroker crank being forged. My question is, what crank would be advisable for the 750-800 hp level on spray? I've been advised to go Dragon Slayer, but that seems a bit extreme and pricey as it's not going to be a drag car. Also, the current carb i have is an 850 DP Holley...do I need more? The car will have 3.70 gear with a th400 with a pretty tight converter. 4000 pounds.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Yes...a higher end crank...Crower or Bryant... really good rods. I'm assuming this is a 4 bolt main block...needs to be.

When you use this motor it doesn't know you aren't racing it... the stress is the same!

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yes...a higher end crank...Crower or Bryant... really good rods. I'm assuming this is a 4 bolt main block...needs to be.

When you use this motor it doesn't know you aren't racing it... the stress is the same!

It is a two bolt, but I don't plan on spinning it up much over 6000, so I didn't think that would be an issue. I thought good ARP bolts would do it as long as I keep the rpms down.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
A scat crank will be okay,use a decent h beam rod,and keep it down to 6,000.A 125 kit won't cause you any issues,but a 250 or larger kit will.Make sure that the botom end[[main caps] have either ARP bolts or studs.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Studs for sure but,I would still go four bolt for that kind of power. As for cranks, a scat, molnar, or callies compstar would work without issue. There are a lot of people using them at the 1000 hp level so 800 would be a non issue. If you want to spend a lot more there is no harm in that if you have the cash.

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
A scat crank will be okay,use a decent h beam rod,and keep it down to 6,000.A 125 kit won't cause you any issues,but a 250 or larger kit will.Make sure that the botom end[[main caps] have either ARP bolts or studs.

Yeah, wasn't going to go more than a 150. I just saw that Straub sells a completely forged rotating assembly for a 496 for 2k. I hadnt seen that before. Maybe ill just make it a one stop shop.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure where your at in Minnesota but if your interested my machine shop has a 4 bolt 454 block with studs for sale. It’s linehoned after the studs were installed and bored if I remember correctly just needs finish honing after pistons are bought to set proper cylinder to piston clearance.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Hey all,

Pulled the 467 out of the 58 Impala build for some firewall work. Of course I've decided to make some changes to the motor...which has zero miles on it. I really want to stroke it to 496...it's out, so what the hell. The heads are being flowed right now, but they made 568hp and 588TQ on the 467 with a 232/.565 flat tappet hydraulic Isky. I am going with a roller from Chris Straub and stroking it. Im guessing I will make 650+ N/A. I'm planning on a 150 shot on top of that just for fun. I'm planning on going from hyper pistons to forged and the stroker crank being forged. My question is, what crank would be advisable for the 750-800 hp level on spray? I've been advised to go Dragon Slayer, but that seems a bit extreme and pricey as it's not going to be a drag car. Also, the current carb i have is an 850 DP Holley...do I need more? The car will have 3.70 gear with a th400 with a pretty tight converter. 4000 pounds.

Hey, how you doing, an 850 is plenty on the street for that 496, if you are going to race it a dominator will make more power but might not make more ET. On my Camaro last year I used a 850 Mighty Demon A/D carb on a 7.9 comp 461 BB Chevy with Peanut port heads and ran 11.90's with the car. Flat top forged pistons, steel crank GM and 3/8" GM rods. If I could get my bottles fill some place cheap I would not hesitate to throw a 200 shot at that engine with 2 bolt mains. Let me know if you need some help this year, we can get that old '58 to run. Hope you have a good rear end in her.

Bob

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey, Bob. Thank you for the info! Where were you a few days ago before I ordered the full 4340 bottom end? Lol! I'm just going to stud the mains and make sure the tune is good before I get crazy with it. After over two months and a shop change a week ago, I'll finally be getting my flow numbers tommorow.

Josh

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Alright, Straub is doing a fully forged rotating assembly and HR cam for me. The rotating assembly will be internally balanced. I know the engine was externally balance in its previous configuration. Can the balancer and flexplate be reused, and can a machine shop "nuetralize" them without the whole assembly? Thanks guys.

Josh

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Don, he's probably sending them with the assembly, but I didn't see it listed so I was curious how it was handled.

Josh