H2o sensor location???

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
I have 4 locations in my intake I can install my mechanical water temp sensor for an Autometer gage. I am setting up to be able to run my engine in my chassis without the body on. The body won't be on for a long time and I want the ability to run the engine. I have installed just the basics to support this: Battery, on off swith, starter button and 12 volts to the distributor ( HEI ), Oil pressure gage and water temp. The motor has been broken in and run on a dyno, so I know everything is good there. I will have radiator, exhaust, probably power steering all installed too. I wonder where the best place for the water sensor is? The front two locations are adjacent to the water outlet and the other two are at the rear of the intake.My alternator is installed now also but not wired up. What is the simplest way to wire this into my simple electrical system to keep the temporary battery charging when motor is being run? Thanks, Kevin.

12-23-08008-1.jpg

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
For final assy it will be cleaner if I can use a manifold location. Also won't have to deal with header heat issues either.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I too would use head location. You can route the capillary line under the headers and cover it with loom and it will be nearly invisible.

We took some 1/4 inch ss tubing and bent it around the shape of the valve covers and tacked on some ears to use the studs from the valve covers hold downs, and then there is no loose wires hanging around. It hides the wires along with looking trick at the same time. We also did this for the wires going to the AC pump.

One could get creative and do it under the backside of the motor also since I'm going to guess thats what the plug wires will be like and be more stealth at the the same time.

Go and get some pictures from a GoodGuys mag and see if there are any that you can pick up ideas from.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree that the head is the safest place for the sender, but if you are going for asthetics then one of the ports at the rear of the intake would be the cleanest looking. Have you given any thought to connecting those 4 ports from front to rear on your intake.....or maybe just making a crossover to connect the 2 rear ones??
In regards to temporarily wiring the alternator: Is it internally or externally regulated?
What brand radiator is that? Griffin maybe? I love the original style of it. I don't know why everyone is installing those crossflow ones from BeCool and elsewhere. I hear crossflow is a little more effecient, but I doubt it makes that much difference. I guess I can't say too much. I have a crossflow aluminum in mine also, but only because I already had it and made it fit.

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
It is a Griffin. Came in the car when I bought it. Goes for around 600.00 new. I put the sensor into the head for now as this whole setup is just temp so I can run the motor while working on the body. My alternator is internally regulated I believe. It is a 10si made in USA, but I don't know by who. I hope Powermaster but don't know. Why would I want to put a crossover tube in? I'm only running about 400 horsepower and don't expect any cooling issues.Let me know more about your thoughts on the value of the crossover.

12-28-08006.jpg

Thanks, Durg.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Kevin-

I used one of the front manifold ports since it actually has water flowing through it. Also, you are going to need to brace the radiator support. When you rev the engine up, the fan will suck it in and hit the shroud. I learned the hard way! :doh

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
Thanks for the heads up, I'll put some braces in at a 45 back down to the frame somewhere.