Ha! What's the deal?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Had a guy stop by at the local show last night. He like my car and the 409. Said he just sold his neighbor the Z-11 engine he has had in the garage since the late 70's for $2,000. He said he used to have the whole car but that it was crashed years earlier and was junked in the 70s. I told him to get the engine back and I would give him $10,000 for it. His smile changed to a frown and his wife poked him in the ribs. Maybe I'll hear back from him.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good luck! I bet the neighbor will hold on to it for dear life, but you never know.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I would have followed the guy home and knocked on every door til I found the owner. Mike, you gotta get your hands on that engine. Phil is on his way to Ill. right now !!!!!!!

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe you'll get lucky & the buyer won't know what he has. Find the guy & offer him $4,000 or $5,000

Dave

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I would have followed the guy home and knocked on every door til I found the owner. Mike, you gotta get your hands on that engine. Phil is on his way to Ill. right now !!!!!!!

I called the highway patrol, gave them a description of Phils dually and told them it looked pretty heavy IHIPs love turning their drug dog on heavy looking vehicles. We will be safe here in Illinois.:)

:crazy

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Oh you can just imagine the "conversations" in that household. She probably told him to get rid of the "junk" in the first place:laugh My Wife said, she would throw it all out when I'm gone. :no

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Had a guy stop by at the local show last night. He like my car and the 409. Said he just sold his neighbor the Z-11 engine he has had in the garage since the late 70's for $2,000. He said he used to have the whole car but that it was crashed years earlier and was junked in the 70s. I told him to get the engine back and I would give him $10,000 for it. His smile changed to a frown and his wife poked him in the ribs. Maybe I'll hear back from him.
What was the neighbors name? The story sounds familiar. Bob

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I wouldn't mind having a Z11 engine or for that matter the whole car, it would certainly bring more car guys to my house for a visit. Aside from that I would have no use for the car or the engine. I can build a faster engine/car with parts available today.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A guy I knew in Chicago had 2 Z cars. One was Malcolm Durhums (sp?). I think he paid $800 for it.In the late 70's a guy in missouri was selling his for $8500. I'd be afraid to have a real one. Too valuable and too much temptation to beat it up. I did enjoy running the Z-11 top on my car for about 25 years. Mostly because most guys never get a chance to see one close enough to touch. Luckily the motor was sturdy enough I never hurt it. Worst that happened was a bent valve. I think I bent the needle on the tach at the same time.

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Bob, I can remember watching you run your '64 in the early/mid '80's with the Z-11 stuff on it when it was running low 12's and was still dubbed "The Viking". I can remember being impressed by it and walking over to the pits to look at it and being surprised to see that it had the High-Port Z-11 stuff on top of the motor. It was one of my favorite cars to watch go down the track and watching you bang on that 4-Speed left an impression on me! I hope my car looks like that going down the track. I've even got some pictures of you in the staging lanes and burnout box somewhere around here.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm with you Mark.....................saw Bob run his purple 64 at Indy Super Chevy in 82!!!!!!!!!!! b I looked him up in the pits as well!!!