Hackintosh now available

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a hard enough time with DOS and Window's !!! :crazy It would be tooooooooo much trouble to learn a new operating system. I'm way too old !!!

Bill

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
People have been making Hackintosh systems for a really long time, nothing new. Just surprising to see one for sale on Ebay since these are usually hush hush machines. Apple typically frowns on this sort of thing haha

Great machines that run a really great operating system! I love Macs!

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The only computer I will ever own is a Mac. I buy mine used on Craigslist for around $300 and can use them for years with zero problems. Never shut them off. Never slow down. No drama. Always ready to go. Leo

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep Leo my wife and I used to do that for years as well. Always bought used g3 and g4 towers. Our latest is an iMac with the dual intel processor and led screen. Amazingly fast computer. And like you said, stone cold reliable, always ready to go. Will be looking to upgrade it for a new model here soon. Every couple years we sell the one we have (for not much less than we paid for it mind you) and buy a replacement through Craigslist or eBay.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've built my last 4 PC's. I don't have a clue how they work, but I can assemble parts.
I'm thinking about going to a used MacPro next.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I used to build my own in the 80s and 90s, taught the boys how to buy parts and assemble them. That's when they were more expensive to purchase complete. Now PCs are so cheap due to mass production and competition, that I just purchase new ones. On any given day I move from a newer Dell laptop to an older Dell desktop (floor model) to an iMac and an iPad. Just depends on what I am working on. Most of what I do resides on servers located within the University. Those are Linux boxes running MySQL. I've got three of those, one for each project.

It's unreal to me how inexpensive and how powerful these devices are these days. And the cost of mass storage is also very inexpensive. Most of my projects are database driven, and I need lots of storage space for content. In our latest project, we will be digitizing 120,00 thousand photos, tons of audio and video, and an uncountable number of pages of documents. Try remembering all those file names :). I'm just now trying out cloud computing as a storage option, but I normally like owning my servers and storage space, makes me feel more secure :).

Cheers,
TomK