Harbor Freight Throatless Shear

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I picked up a throatless shear Monday morning and after a 20% off coupon, paid $135.67 with tax. The bolts were both very loose which wasn't an issue. I snugged them and checked the blade adjustment. The rear adjusting screw didn't even xontacf the blade, it went under the arch. I still attempted to cut some 16 gauge sheet and the blades rubbed each other and the edges were slightly damaged. So back if went today. Swapped it for another one. I'll try it again and see what happens. There are no instructions at all aboiy adjusting the blades or how snug the bolts should be. Any suggestions on the set up Bob?20190812_202729.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The gap needs to be 1/10 to 1/4 the thickness of the metal you are cutting.
Thanks James, that will help. Hopefully the replacement I picked up today will work better than the first.
Honestly I never adjusted the blades. The handle is sloppy. That's the same one I have.
Did you have to tighten the two cross bolts that hold everything together? If so, how tight, just enough to allow free movement of the handle and blades? The first one, the bolts were just finger tight and everything slopped back and forth. Maybe that's the way it will work the best????

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a Eastwood one like that ,ready to use works very good. In fact I just used it the other day to cut a mounting plate for weed eater shield.

Pardon my opinion, but that looks like junk.:rolleyes
I've seen a lot of Eastwood tools that appear to be repainted/ re-stickered Harbor Freight tools and I've read the same numerous times. An internet post even states that people have found Harbor Freight labels under the Eastwood labels(I know, everything on the internet must be true:D). I'm not 100% sure on any of that, but if true, I wonder if Eastwood is "tuning up" the Harbor Freight tools to make them function better???

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim, Google Eastwood for a video on the shear. $199.00 but you get what you pay for . Very satisfied with mine.
I've bought a lot from Eastwood over the years, most recently, a bead roller motor which is very nice! If this HB shear doesn't work out, I'll check out Eastwood"s at Fall Carlisle. Thanks for the info Don.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
$870.00 ,holy crap...:facepalm

Yes it is a bit pricey, and for most people not into production, they will never need a top quality tool, so a Beverly would not make sense. However, I prefer to pay for quality tools whenever I can. They last longer, are more precise, made of better materials, don't usually require adjustments or tightening of bolts right out to the box, etc. JMHO

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I've seen a lot of Eastwood tools that appear to be repainted/ re-stickered Harbor Freight tools and I've read the same numerous times. An internet post even states that people have found Harbor Freight labels under the Eastwood labels(I know, everything on the internet must be true:D). I'm not 100% sure on any of that, but if true, I wonder if Eastwood is "tuning up" the Harbor Freight tools to make them function better???
Not the same Jim, base is different than mine .